Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Dies vs other brands

I set up my used 650 with a 223 conversion. I dont have a Dillon 223 die set so I used my Lee full length sizing die to try it out. With the die almost touching the shellplate it wont size the brass to fit the case gage. I can run it through my Redding shoulder bump die and all is fine.

Will the Dillon sizing die resize the cases back to specs? These are all once fired commercial cases from who knows what. What is everyone using?

I set up my used 650 with a 223 conversion. I dont have a Dillon 223 die set so I used my Lee full length sizing die to try it out. With the die almost touching the shellplate it wont size the brass to fit the case gage. I can run it through my Redding shoulder bump die and all is fine.

Will the Dillon sizing die resize the cases back to specs? These are all once fired commercial cases from who knows what. What is everyone using?

Why "almost touching". I set all my dies to touch the shellplate and even put a little tension on the shellplate. Not a lot of tension. Just enough to know it's sizing completely. Dillon, Lee, whatever, I would set the sizer up the same for all of them.

I dont think the Lee die will bump the shoulder at all, I use both dies when prepping brass for my bolt gun. I want to load for the gas guns (AR15), and havent loaded for them yet. I have to bump the shoulder back on the once fired stuff to headspace in the bolt guns. I guess I am wanting to know if the Dillon carbide rifle dies would benefit me?

I'd pass on the carbide 223 dies. An old Dillon friend said while there's nothing wrong with the carbide dies it's just the $$$ that gets you. Definitely provides a margin for error, but we all know that if you're careful and you own a stuck case kit, you'll never get a stuck case.

I use Dillon dies on my 650 loading 223 for my AR's. No problems at all.

Rich

ETA: Dillon's dies are small base body dies. Just aren't advertised as such.

Edited by uscbigdawg

I'd pass on the carbide 223 dies. An old Dillon friend said while there's nothing wrong with the carbide dies it's just the $$$ that gets you. Definitely provides a margin for error, but we all know that if you're careful and you own a stuck case kit, you'll never get a stuck case.

Rich

Thanks for the heads up

Are you guys able to bump the neck enough to pass the case gage with the Dillon dies? The reason I ask, is all I have now as far as a full length 223 resizing die, is 2 sets of Lee. They resize ok, but dont bump the neck enough even with the die adjusted against the shell holder. I use a Redding body die which just bumps the neck, as a separate step. Is this just a issue with the cheap Lee dies? I dont hear anyone on here having any issues with 1 step size/deprime. What am I not understanding here? I get anal with my bolt gun reloads, only neck size, single stage loading. I am wanting to prep some cases on the 650 in some numbers for the gas guns.

Why "almost touching". I set all my dies to touch the shellplate and even put a little tension on the shellplate. Not a lot of tension. Just enough to know it's sizing completely. Dillon, Lee, whatever, I would set the sizer up the same for all of them.

Rich

+2 to all that.

Rifle Dies sold as "small base" dies are actually dies that were manufactured on brand new tooling.

be

Are you guys able to bump the neck enough to pass the case gage with the Dillon dies? The reason I ask, is all I have now as far as a full length 223 resizing die, is 2 sets of Lee. They resize ok, but dont bump the neck enough even with the die adjusted against the shell holder. I use a Redding body die which just bumps the neck, as a separate step. Is this just a issue with the cheap Lee dies? I dont hear anyone on here having any issues with 1 step size/deprime. What am I not understanding here? I get anal with my bolt gun reloads, only neck size, single stage loading. I am wanting to prep some cases on the 650 in some numbers for the gas guns.

I bump the neck with a neck die after resizing with a Dillon carbide full length on all my 223/5.56. they now fit all the chambers I have; 223, 223 Wylde , 5.56(all gas guns)...before I added the neck sizer I was having small problems with cases fitting, but no more. I load a lot of it for 2 shooters in 3 gun...

jj

I bump the neck with a neck die after resizing with a Dillon carbide full length on all my 223/5.56. they now fit all the chambers I have; 223, 223 Wylde , 5.56(all gas guns)...before I added the neck sizer I was having small problems with cases fitting, but no more. I load a lot of it for 2 shooters in 3 gun...

jj

Thats what Im talking about. I do the same. I have 5k of once fired Fed non-military brass fired from I dont know what. I have to bump the neck back down to get spec in a case gage. I also run the prepped brass in my Rem 700 chamber and see how the bolt closes. I ran the full length size and measured headspace with the Hornady gage before and after the size on 10 cases last night. The full length size didnt bump the neck hardly any at all. I then ran them through the Redding body die and bumped the neck back as much as I needed with plenty of adjustment.

I still dont understand how others are loading with 1 step sizing and not having problems. I am getting ready to try some LC military and wonder what this will bring, aside from primer pocket swaging?

Most will use a 2 head system, one to prep/size/trim the brass, the other just for loading. with LC you will have to do the de-swaging by hand with a 650 of course. there are a couple of threads on this subject, try searching me out in this specific forum, I put my 2 cents worth in a couple... or pm me and I'll give ya all the down and dirty I have figured out and learned from others much wiser than me. (I am just one opinion however) :cheers:

jj

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, thanks for the tips. I am getting used to my 650 now with the rifle caliber. I received my Dillon 223 dies and set up my sizing head. I still have to use a Redding bump die for the shoulder to get headspace to spec. I spray cases in a plastic bag with alcohol diluted liquid auto wax and dump out on a towel to dry to a haze. I dump them into the case feed hopper and start cranking the lever. I cant believe how fast this thing preps the cases. I then trim on a Girard trimmer (if I spelled it right) and fill up a gallon bucket in no time. 30 minutes in the tumbler to get the wax off and these puppies are ready to load.

I have John Widden's powder funnel setup for the toolhead, havent tried it yet. I dont know if I will use it or not. I will weigh charges for my bolt gun and setup the powder throw and seat die on the second tool head for my gas gun. I am liking this a lot. I didnt know these presses were so versatile. Many different ways of getting it done.

Again, thanks for the tips. And Brian, I will be ordering parts to set up for 38/357 soon.

Edited by ddeaton