Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-Loading

steveyacht

I am selling two of my MEC shotshell loaders on Ebay and will be investing the proceeds in metallic cartridge reloading equipment. I already have a quality scale, calipers and lots of empy casings. I will need a press, dies, tumbler, media seperator and other misc. items to get started with. I won't be needing a chrono at this stage, I have one I can borrow as needed. so that should save me about a hundred bucks or so.

I will have a very strict budget of $650 - $700 for all the hardware, EXCLUDING components. This being so what would you suggest I purchase? Used is fine by me.... Matter of fact I would just as soon purchase something used that is all set up for my purposes.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Edited by steveyacht

There was a good deal on a used 550 in the classifieds. With what you have you could get a new 550 pretty well set up for around your budget. I got a new 550, strong mount, roller handle, primer flip tray, extra tool head and powder drop a little while back and I believe it was about $750. If you substituted dies for the extra toolhead and powder drop you'd be under $750. Although there was a recent price bump.

Dillon stuff seems to hold it's value so sometimes trying to buy used is a lot of trouble to save very little money. You could wait on the strong mount, roller handle and watch for them used, or just get them later. They are nice but not necessary.

You can get a media separator/tumbler package at cabela's or midway for $60 or so.

The only options I would really think about as far as presses are dillon 550, 650 or the Hornady progressive. I am assuming you want to load a fairly large volume of pistol ammo, since you are posting on this site.

When I first started reloading I bought a single stage, then a Dillon Square Deal. That was a huge upgrade, but eventually, I bought a Dillon 650. I was trying to save money the first two times, but I could have saved money in the long run by buying the 650 first! I LOVE my 650!

I used a Dillon Square Deal B for several years. For the money, they are a great value. Plus, they come setup with dies, ready to load. I would never buy a 550, since it does not auto-index, which is an important feature to me.

When I wanted a case feeder and 5 stations, I moved to the Hornady LNL AP. I love it, works great. I think the Lock-n-load bushings are awesome, since the cost for additional calibers is significantly less than a 650, but the quick-change time/effort is about the same.

Edited by Jeff686

• 2 weeks later...

pick up a dillon 650. look for used but you could a get new one around your budget and add a case feeder when the budget allows. it's a great press, you will NEVER-EVER find better cutomer support than dillon.

How much ammo do you think you'll load at a sitting? If you have more time than money, you could get by with a good single stage press for a while, until money gets better. You can still make good time with a single stage, but the cool factor isn't there. Typically, I used to tumble all my brass when I got home from the range. the next day I'd size it, and tumble again. The next night I'd flare the case mouths & prime the cases. Then if time permitted I'd charge the cases with powder, seat the bullet, then crimp it. I used reloading trays & loaded about 300 at a batch. The process gets faster as you pick up experience & familiarity.

This system probably won't work for large quantities of reloading. If you need 500+ reloads per week, then go for a progressive.

I use Anachronism's method, load couple of hundred at a time breaking the work down into parts never all same day. I find a 4 station turret press works good for short runs and more important changing loads. I load for 4 different 45 acp's Two revolvers two 1911's loads are similar but not exactly the same. 9's I only use one load and if shooting a lot of 9mm hundreds per week no doubt a Dillon would be of advantage.

You can get in business with a new Lee or used Lyman turret for mimimal cost. the other stuff dies scale small tools etc you are going to need whatever press you buy.

Have see a lot of guys go for progressives and end up switching calibers or shooting disciplines making the tool absolute, Rotary presses never go out of style or usefulness. It just takes longer. I may end up with a Dillon dedicated to the 9mm but never going to get rid of the old Lyman Turret press.

Boats

How much ammo do you think you'll load at a sitting? If you have more time than money, you could get by with a good single stage press for a while, until money gets better. You can still make good time with a single stage, but the cool factor isn't there. Typically, I used to tumble all my brass when I got home from the range. the next day I'd size it, and tumble again. The next night I'd flare the case mouths & prime the cases. Then if time permitted I'd charge the cases with powder, seat the bullet, then crimp it. I used reloading trays & loaded about 300 at a batch. The process gets faster as you pick up experience & familiarity.

This system probably won't work for large quantities of reloading. If you need 500+ reloads per week, then go for a progressive.

Well, I will be loading a least 500 rounds per week, possibly more. That is the reason I have decided on a progressive press with auto indexing. After much agonizing, I ordered a Hornady LnL yesterday.