Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 rear sight height? Millett sights and .250" front

scottyinAZ

Hi gang, i have every height rear sight made by millett and weigand known to man now for the 625 and have .250" front sight. what are you finding for the proper height?? i talked to the gang at millett and was told to buy a .360", so i got 2 for my other gun also. well .360" all the way down still shoots way high. i got a .312 today and have not shot it yet. just curious if its MY gun or everyone that needs the .312" sight.

5" 625-8 with quick change front sight, but i would think barrel length would not matter. if anyone needs a .410" or .360" sight or rear blade, i have the white outline sets i have no use for, will sell. =)

thanks for the input

Scott

I think the folks at Millett steered you off track.

The hot set-up is the Millett .360" rear sight and a .300" blade up front. Ergo, if you're going to use a front sight which is .050" shorter you will need to use a rear sight which is (roughly) .050" shorter, which means the .312" Millett.

You might consider switching to a .300" front sight instead, though, the .312" Millett has an awfully shallow notch, to my way of thinking anyway.....

Mike, i felt the same way about the shallow notch but after talking with millett i thought i must have had a bastard gun or something. so .360" rear with the .300 front is what i need..... going to have to get more front sights.

thanks for the help

Scott

You ought to try a Green fiber. You might be surprized, but maybe not. I was! SDM sells the brightest fiber I've seen. Good people to do business with. Good gunsmith also. Give them a look.

My 2ctw. Good luck,

Granderojo

Edited by granderojo

update on the sights, the .410 .360 .312 millett rear sights all have the same notch width and depth. measured 2 of each height. all the same notch. now millet also makes ones with a narrow width notch. so the .250" front and .312" rear worked out and has the same sight picture. i do like that toolguy has a more narrow width than the sdm front sight. need to get some of them.

Scott

update on the sights, the .410 .360 .312 millett rear sights all have the same notch width and depth. measured 2 of each height. all the same notch. now millet also makes ones with a narrow width notch. so the .250" front and .312" rear worked out and has the same sight picture. i do like that toolguy has a more narrow width than the sdm front sight. need to get some of them.

Scott

That's odd. While my .410 and .360 Millett rear sights have the same width notch, the .410's are .010" deeper. The .410's also have enough material left to deepen the notch more if desired where as the .360's are about as deep as you can go.

i will double check my numbers again. i have the weigand blade and honestly i think it sucks. it has to be the worst fitting sight i have ever seen. vertical slop is excessive to say the least. i thought about peaning it and working it over to make it fit tight, then i opened the box for the millett..... so long weigand.... i like the blade look, notch and sight picture but on 2 smith rear sights it fit very poorly. the millets have 0 movement. just my findings. i will get the .410 back out and measure it up again. it was LATE on the night before a match when i measured it. =)

Scott

i will double check my numbers again. i have the weigand blade and honestly i think it sucks. it has to be the worst fitting sight i have ever seen. vertical slop is excessive to say the least.

Yeah, the Weigand sight blade is not good.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I stumbled onto this post at just the right time. I also want to know which Millet rear goes best with the SDM .250" front sight. I already have the Millet .360" rears with the SDM .300" front on a 5 inch barrel 625, but I just got a 4 inch barrel 627 and would prefer a lower profile front sight.

I am very interested in knowing if the different height Millet rears have the same width and depth notches.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

I remeasured all my sights from .410 to .316, all have the same notch width and depth. i have 2 of each height, all the same. Millett does make different notch widths and depths. you will have to read the description on the package to be sure you get what you want.

Scott