Drilling a hole in my big toe

kgunz11

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My grandpa was a diesle mechanic and I watched him drive a hot metal scribe through his nails more then once. He smashed countless fingers pulling axles on the Jersey turnpike in the middle of the night. He was one tough old guy and I don't even think he owned underoos...

I was a diesel mechanic for a long time and well the next time any of you guys do this...use the drill method, BUT USE A PIN VISE AND DO IT BY HAND! That way there's no "breakthrough" into all that smashed flesh under the nail to add insult to injury. Just keep twirling that bit in a clockwise manner (make sure its sharp) with just the weight of the pin vise (the skinny collet type) bearing on it. You'll know when you've broken through by all the red cutting lube that comes out of the hole.

My grandpa was a diesle mechanic and I watched him drive a hot metal scribe through his nails more then once. He smashed countless fingers pulling axles on the Jersey turnpike in the middle of the night. He was one tough old guy and I don't even think he owned underoos...

I was a diesel mechanic for a long time and well the next time any of you guys do this...use the drill method, BUT USE A PIN VISE AND DO IT BY HAND! That way there's no "breakthrough" into all that smashed flesh under the nail to add insult to injury. Just keep twirling that bit in a clockwise manner (make sure its sharp) with just the weight of the pin vise (the skinny collet type) bearing on it. You'll know when you've broken through by all the red cutting lube that comes out of the hole.

I'm with you. I had to do it to a finger once and there was no motor involved with the drill bit. Just a tiny bit and some twisting. I could see me chucking that sucker up in my 1/2" dewalt and stopping when I hit the floor on the other side of my toe. :surprise:

AL