Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm AR/carbine loads

RJ24

Was planning on loading some 115 grain zero jhp bullets with a slower pistol powder like true blue for a good flat shooting cartridge for plinking. Any suggestions on powders/loads or experience with true blue loads for carbine?

Thanks,

RJ

Did quite a bit of testing with the 9mm in a Beretta Storm. The most accurate load that I found was using AA-7 with a Hornady 124 XTP-HP. I had quite a bit of 3n37 on hand and it grouped nearly as well. One of these two powders should work equally as well with a 115.

Incidently, one of the local clubs had something of a 3 gun match where you ended your stage with shooting 5 bowling pins head to head with someone. My AR just wasn't doing the job and I switched to my Storm. It was double elimination and although I lost, I did manage to knock down the pins. Did I mention the shooting was done at 200 yards with a Tasco pdp7 red dot?? I knew the approximate holdover from plinking around the day before. Both times I was able to knock them down with about 15-20 rounds. All my shots were very close.

THANKS!

Lot's of good ideas for me to try out and I have most of those powders already. I'm still going to try True Blue and work up some loads with the other powders everyone mentioned. If anyone else has any other powder/ bullet combos i'd still love to hear them.

My 9mm AR only has a 9” barrel, I like my IDPA/minor load of 3.1 of VV310 and Berry’s 147 very quite and easy to clean just wipe the suppressor baffles off with a towel. Titegroup is cheaper (3.2-3.3 grains w/147) and almost as good.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my 9mm ARs is an SBR (8.75") that I shoot with a suppressor. My normal load for pistol is 3.4 gr Titegroup for a 139 PF in my Sig All Around. In the SBR, I have dropped it down to 2.9 gr for very quiet shooting but 3.1-3.2 works better for all around use and function and is still quiet.

Craig