Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuned Bolen Magazine

kgunz11

Can't see the high luster of the polish in the pics with this camera, but you might get an idea by the reflection of me holding the camera in some of them. Holds 21 rounds. I still have a little practicing to do on my own mags with the etching machine, but I'm getting there.

Before witness holes and etching:

DSC00244Large.jpg

DSC00243Large.jpg

DSC00241Large.jpg

After etching and witness holes for 10, 15, and 21 rounds, with a little "Shooters Connection tribute". Oh yeah, featuring Susan's High Open trophy from the 2009 Lady Smith match. :D

DSC00248Large.jpg

DSC00247Large.jpg

DSC00246Large.jpg

DSC00245Large.jpg

Edited by kgunz11

I have a set of 5 I have been running pretty hard. One I start the COF with for 22 rounds to start, and one that is reloadable 21 if I don't miss the reload, with 20 in there you just throw it at the gun and it goes in. The rest of them hold 20 reloadable with ease. I can get 21 in all of them, but if you tweak them to the point of 21 reloadable you start to take out some of the reliability factor. So far they run 100% when you have the mag body set for 20 rounds. The most critical factor outside of dimensions I have found is having the inside of the tube polished and resistance free.

How do you polish the inside of the mag tube?

Oh, and...Those look fantastic!

Not meant to hijack....

I polish the insides of ALL of my tubes using Flitz metal polish on a felt bob. I have an extension for my dremel that allows me to get 100% access to the length of the tube.

I use a 500 grit wet sand paper first to clean the ribs up and smooth out the transition on the short side, then a 1500 grit liquid compound on a 10" wool mop chucked up in the drill. I also use a diamond file to remove any burs on the feed lips after confirming dimensions on them, and polish those areas heavily.

DSC00230Large.jpg

DSC00228Large.jpg

DSC00233Large.jpg

Not meant to hijack....

I polish the insides of ALL of my tubes using Flitz metal polish on a felt bob. I have an extension for my dremel that allows me to get 100% access to the length of the tube.

Larry, where did you get the extension from, I have been looking for one?

Not meant to hijack....

Larry, where did you get the extension from, I have been looking for one?

Got it at our local home depot. It is not DREMEL brand but it is sold as interchangeable. It is a 3 foot long flexible cable extension with a 10" long wand on the end with a chuck to hold bits. When I get a chance, I will look at it and post the brand name on it. Flitz is great stuff. Five minutes is all it takes to polish up the inside of a tube to a mirror shine. In my experience, using SV tubes, aside from adjusting and polishing the feed lips, this is all you need for 100% reliability.

Edited by larry cazes

Needed to work on the etching side of the mag tuning, so I experimented on my own match set.

They will all hold 21, but not reloadable. I use #4 to start the COF with, 21 in the mag and 1 in the gun for 22 to start. The rest of them I leave 20 in.

DSC00259Large.jpg

Those look rad. I bet they look even better in pouches. That is some detail work you do polishing the insides of the mags. About how long does it take you to make one?

I'm guessing pretty long, I got one of the Dawson mag tuning kits a while ago and now realize why most tuned mags cost a fortune.

Adjusting the tube and feed lip dimensions is a major PITA, for me anyway... They do work good though...

Craig

Fireant- you just got mags today did you not?

Then how about leaving some of these new ones

for the rest of us to buy/try? And by the way- how

are you going to use all those new mags ya just

picked up today-when YOUR TAKEING SOME TIME

OFF? :rolleyes::roflol: Sorry for the drift- the

mags look very nice- hope they go well for you

kgunz11 :cheers: