Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Copper Plated 200 gr. SWC

Baer45

For the first time I tried to load some plated bullets that I bought cheap (busted boxes) and can not find any load data. Most say use slightly more then what a lead recipe calls for as a minimum or use less then the max for a full metal jacket. Tried different variations of Bullseye and could not get decent groups. Does anyone have a good Bullseye load for these bullets? All help appreciated...CS

I've never found a good load for Bullseye powder and plated bullets. Even with lead I had trouble grouping inside 3" @ 15 yards and the gun was really dirty after a 200-300 round practice session. I would suggest you try a different powder if you can find any.

53 views and you come through Patterson!! I have other powders but I don't have a ton of time. Evidently no one shoots plated bullets in this forum... (sorry but I am burnt out trying to find a load for a bunch of bullets I thought I got cheap because of a busted box!) Seriously, all books say to load 10 percent below max for FMJ or 10 per cent above max for Lswc...My hope was that some one who shot 200 gr. SWC Plated bullets would share an accurate load that has worked for them sparing me a whole day chronoing different loads!!

I will hold all harmless!

Thanks Wide45. I did try the search and maybe I was not persistant enough in using search words but I could never find anything of 200 gr. SWC Copper Plated. Thanks for shooting me in the right direction!

In my testing I have never found a plated bullet which provides bullseye level accuracy with the possible exception of the Rainier 200 gr SWC. I purchased a small quantity and tested a few loads for accuracy before giving up on the project. Here is my data:

45 ACP - 200 gr. Rainier SWC

4.1 to 4.6 gr. WST - WLP = 747 to 832 fps - 1+" groups @50ft

4.0 to 4.5 gr. American Selct - WLP = 742 to 795 fps - 1+" groups as above

4.1 to 4.5 gr. HS-700X - WLP = 705 to 762 fps - 1 inch groups at 50 ft.

I used either a Pardini GT-45 ot S&W 945PC with Docter optics for testing. The lower power HS-700X proved slightly more accurate in my limited testing.

For the first time I tried to load some plated bullets that I bought cheap (busted boxes) and can not find any load data. Most say use slightly more then what a lead recipe calls for as a minimum or use less then the max for a full metal jacket. Tried different variations of Bullseye and could not get decent groups. Does anyone have a good Bullseye load for these bullets? All help appreciated...CS

I'll add that the Ranier 200gr SWC can be a little sticky on non polished/dirty feed ramps and needs a little more crimp than most people are advising for plated bullets. Of course an undersized bullet and a thin case may have lead to the ruptured case and speed unload of my magazine. I now resize with a Lee undersize die and crimp with a Lee factory crimp die. Once was one too many.

I'll add that the Ranier 200gr SWC can be a little sticky on non polished/dirty feed ramps and needs a little more crimp than most people are advising for plated bullets. Of course an undersized bullet and a thin case may have lead to the ruptured case and speed unload of my magazine. I now resize with a Lee undersize die and crimp with a Lee factory crimp die. Once was one too many.

Yep Patterson...I've changed magazines myself that way and youa re right, once is enough. Before I even started reloading I read Sweeney's 1911 book to find out what would happen in anticipation of Murphy's Law..

I have found many plated bullets that would not group well enough to accurately sight in the gun. I have checked different brands and found big variations in the plating thickness and it appears some companies just spray some plating on the worst bullets they produce. Sorry to be negative but that is what i have found.