Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watching other shooters shoot...

-JQ-

I pretty much a beginner so I'm trying to watch and learn from everyone I can...good and bad.

The good...

The other day while watching fellow member Chris K (local "fasty") he performed a smokin fast reload. It looked like he shot the last round strong hand only while grabbing his other mag. (this is after replaying it in my head a few times) I'm not sure if that was what really happened on not...

Chris didn't even seem to have a perceptible change in cadence...and this was a blaster COF...

Seriously dude it was smoking fast!

I meant to ask him about it but forgot...

Must be that new blaster... :cheers:

---------

The bad...

Another thing I've noticed is shooters who have their mags in front (lim/open/etc) and have an overly aggressive stance have to raise their torso's up to get those front mags...

...just things I notice...

---------

FWIW - I can also analyze your golf game but I'm a terrible player... :ph34r:...

Nice job Chris!

Thanks for the compliment Joel. :)

But in case you havent noticed I've recently moved my mags back behind my hip-bone. Been like that for about a week. I've seen LOTS of GM's (Manny, Lee, Cheely, just to name a few) run their mags back that far and have zero problems with their reloads.

I can honestly say it hasnt slowed me down either. ;)

I didn't notice your new placement...and it wasn't you to whom I was referring on the up and down mag dance...

And to keep this from getting too ghey...I never check your hip bones...

I didn't notice the big dogs running mags back too. I do because I mostly shoot SS/production...now if you guys would get your bullets facing the right direction we'll finally achieve world peace... :sight:

Nice job.

It was the stage at Oxford with all the steel poppers so it was a standing reload.

So the question is...was it my imagination...was it planned? Changing to strong hand for the last shot(s), I mean. What say you?

It was the stage at Oxford with all the steel poppers so it was a standing reload.

So the question is...was it my imagination...was it planned? Changing to strong hand for the last shot(s), I mean. What say you?

:rolleyes: Hmmmmmmmm .............. It must be the glasses! Yeah, that's it! B)

th_CLKSHOOTING.jpg

It really is something to watch shooters that have their stuff together shoot a stage. I like watching vids of better shooters than me so that I can pick things up. Me and Shaun where shooting with David Ball at the IN SS match and he asked Shaun where he got that 16 round SS mag from as he never saw him do the load lol.

• 3 months later...

This is my first year shooting USPSA, been to a total of 4 matches.

I always try to watch the other shooters to see thier tricks.

One guy last weekend was just scary fast, was really fun watching him go for it.

Gives me something to aspire to.

I tried putting my holster and mag holders forward and it just didn't jive for me. And it messed with my production mojo. I put my open gun holster about where my production holster goes... seems having the gun already pointed at the target so all I have to do is lift is more easier and more conistent than having to lift, twist, and spin it. Mag holders I move forward to the point that if I were going for where my production pouches are I would hit my open pouch (about 10:30 on my waist). The motions are the same I just get to it a little sooner. Again, having the mag pouches way forward messed with my production game, got in the way picking up brass, and from the gun I felt I had to do MORE arm/writs movement to get to a mag in the middle of my belly.

The point is you are on the right track if you are looking for ineffenciencies such as having to adjust shooting stance to get to the mags. Don't place gear because either you see people doing it a certain way or just because the rules are relaxed and you are permitted to place it anywhere... experiment and understand WHY you put it where you do.

-rvb

I put my open gun holster about where my production holster goes... seems having the gun already pointed at the target so all I have to do is lift is more easier and more conistent than having to lift, twist, and spin it.

Good point Ryan. Jerry Barnhart talks about that in his Burner series tapes. He said moving it too far forward means having to twist and rotate the gun to index the first target. And putting it too far back meant reaching further back to draw the gun, which created tension in his upper arms. Putting the holster right on/above the kidney area seems to be the most neutral position, allowing you to index the first target with very little wasted motion.

• 2 weeks later...