Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Selecting an Optimum .223 Bullet

abysmal

After many years of being OUT of the reloading and shooting sports arena I have come back in recently.

I have 3 brand new Robinson Arms XCRs chanmbered in .223/5.56

5.56_L_FH_RS_LG.gif

These are the 16 inch "light" barrel variety with a 1 in 9 twist.

I would like to load up 10,000 rounds of ammunition and am now begining the process of searching our the best general purpose bullet to be used.

So, I am looking for input from those that have already gone down this path?

Should I just be sticking with the SS109/M883 round, or are there better alternatives that I should be considering at this point.

I am NOT looking for match grade loads, but a home made alternative to buying military grade ammo that would be more efficient and effective.

The Hornady 55 grain FMJ projectile is among the best for general purpose use. I have been able to load it to sub MOA in some of my rifles. Ramshot powders produce excellent results at good prices. As does several Accurate and hodgden powders. Experiment and find one that provides good accuracy and velocity in your gun. And then load em up.

You can always do a search...there is lots of stuff in the "archives"

for plinking and putting holes in paper, steel core projectiles are fine, but don't take em to matches with steel targets.

Hornady packs 55 FMJBT w/c in bulk, its a fine bullet, if you can find it. for distances 200 and less, winchester makes a 55 FMJBT w/c that will do fine.

for powder, Varget or 2230 will get you going with really good accuracy.

jj

I was out shooting today with my new firebird AR with a 20" barrel. I was shooting some winchester 55s like JJ talked about. Right out of the box, with iron sights, second shot I started nailing some 8" plates we have hanging for rifle targets at the range. The distance is a bit over 200yds & believe it or not, the wind was blowing between 15 & 25mph coming in the rifle range at a 45 degree angle. The wind was coming in at @1:30-- 2 o'clock (if downrange was 12:00). I was really surprised as I had heard the 55s don't do so well in the wind. These are loaded pretty hot, @3200fps or so & that may have had an effect, not sure. The barrel twist is 1:8. The powder is V.V. N135

Just moved to this Ar from a little 16" barreled tinker toy Ar. It also had iron sights but I was not really able to shoot it as well. It has a 1:9 twist.

I bought 100 SMKs in 69gr the other day but haven't had time to work up a load, yet. If they are more stable than this load, I should be fixed up for longer range stuff. :)

I bought them from Midway when they were affordable. Not sure what they have now or when they will have more. I have a case of Montana Golds when I finish these winchesters.

Please try to avoid shooting the steel core bullets at metal targets, even rifle rated steel targets will not stand up to the steel core. They are fine for paper, though. When I bought these winchesters, the price for them was really close to the 62gr steel core pulled bullets. I mean less than $15 difference for 2k bullets. Figured I would just get brand new Winchesters for that difference.

Good luck!

MLM

When you can get them Montana Gold has 55 gr fmjbt in case lots of 3500. I load them with 24.5 gr of aa 2230 and they shoot right at 1 in. Good luck in finding bullets and primers right now.-------------Larry

You may just want to try different bullets in the 1-9 to see what works. I have seen some 1-9s that will shoot 75gr bullets and I have seen some that won't even shoot the 60gr Hornaday bullets. My buds 1-9 Bushy will take 69SMKs just fine but hates my 75 Hornaday load. I have also used the 68gr Hornaday bullet in a 1-9 with good results.

If you don't want to mess around with different bullets then I would get some 55FMJs and be done with it.

Edited by Shawn Knight