Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Barrels and matching bolts?

Is this really needed for our sport? I have had a lot of M4 barrels and bolts replaced in my Army rifle and never seen any use...You should have the headspace checked but that is an easy thing.

RLTW,

Scott

How is that possible when Leitner Wise (sp?) is building bolts for JP? I've replaced bolts (and carriers) without changing the barrel and never had an issue. I expect now w/ the LW bolt it should last as long as the barrel but I still doubt it's "made" for a specific barrel.

Headspace is built into the barrel/extension on an AR-15. If you have a bolt you can use that to adjust the barrel depth in the extension as some manufacturers do (Lothar Walther comes to mind) and make it perfect with minimal play. When you get a high quality barrel it's typicaly setup to a common accepted measurement. Now if you are assembling parts it's always good to check that with Go & No-Go gauges.

As for JP's super match ... I have a brand new one and also got the LW bolt... fits PERFECT.

This kinda reminds me of the line in "Days of Thunder" when Robert Duvall sais to Tom Cruise that the new set of tires were "Matched and staggered special". Of course it was all in Tom Cruises characters mind. As in the movie with the tires there is no such thing as a matching bolt. It is simply a bolt with the headspce checked to be in spec with the bbl you are purchasing (out of the many I have assembled i have rarely found a bolt and bbl that didn't headspce properly when both were new). If you don't have the tools to check it yourself it is a good option, but far from neccessary. Its easy to do yourself.