Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload critique please

astephenson

I shot some videos of an El Prez type dry-fire drill (without the turn, hands at sides) and would like some pointers on anything you guys see. Sorry for the crappy video, it was taken with my cell-phone.

I didn't let the trigger reset in a couple of them, and I AM pushing the ejector rod even though the cylinder is empty to start with.

I shot some videos of an El Prez type dry-fire drill (without the turn, hands at sides) and would like some pointers on anything you guys see. Sorry for the crappy video, it was taken with my cell-phone.

I didn't let the trigger reset in a couple of them, and I AM pushing the ejector rod even though the cylinder is empty to start with.

Pretty Good!

What shape bullets are you using. I notice a hesitation as you insert the rounds into the cylinder and then as the speed loader drops, you are back up to speed.

A round nose bullet slides in much faster than say a SWC.

Pretty Good!

What shape bullets are you using. I notice a hesitation as you insert the rounds into the cylinder and then as the speed loader drops, you are back up to speed.

A round nose bullet slides in much faster than say a SWC.

Thanks. I'm using round nose bullets, but they're pretty dinged up from practice. Not to mention it always seems like they're not "lined up" when I go to insert them. I prolly need to work on that.

Pretty good for comp 3 re loaders bro. I would eventually go to moons however

Thanks. This is for IDPA SSR, so I gotta stick with the speedloaders for now until I wanna play in ESR.

When you do reloads, make sure you don't push on the speed loader until the rounds go into the chambers.

Just turn without pushing down. Then when they drop, push down.

I'll have to work on that. I kinda go in one motion, though, once the rounds are lined up with the cylinder.

You might try "NOT" putting the off hand trigger finger on the front of the trigger guard. It looked to me as if you were, but it could be the angle.

Reasons to not do it:

1) It puts in a spot to catch gas/lead.

2) Even most Auto IPSC Competitors have found it's not necessary.

3) It can cause you to waste a bit of time because your stretching to do it.

Some of us leave the grip pretty much like an auto, in that the off thumb and the firing hands thumb both lay on each other pointing down the barrel.

Some curl the off thumb down into the grip and then put the other thumb down over it, I think JM does that.

But I've not seen any, and Pin Shooter has some BIG Hands, try to put the off finger over the trigger guard.

The Reloads just look like the need practice, practice and a bit more practice. But good otherwise, just don't start worrying about time do it smooth every time and you'll get where you need to be.

You might try "NOT" putting the off hand trigger finger on the front of the trigger guard. It looked to me as if you were, but it could be the angle.

I think it's just the angle. My support-hand thumb is below the cylinder and JUST behind the B/C gap...I think that's what you're seeing. I've got huge hands, and this round gun with its smaller grip has taken some getting used to compared to the Glocks that I've been shooting for a couple years now.

I will be experimenting with different grips and grip materials as time goes on, but for now I'm just trying to get the basics down pat so I'll actually know what I need before buying.

The Reload looks fast and smooth..I use the technique that Toolguy spoke of. I grasp the Speedloader in my weak hand and give it a ever so lsight twist counterclockwise when I reload. I see that you use the strong hand method. Good Job. later rdd

Reasons to not do it:

1) It puts in a spot to catch gas/lead.

2) Even most Auto IPSC Competitors have found it's not necessary.

3) It can cause you to waste a bit of time because your stretching to do it.

Some of us leave the grip pretty much like an auto, in that the off thumb and the firing hands thumb both lay on each other pointing down the barrel.

Some curl the off thumb down into the grip and then put the other thumb down over it, I think JM does that.

But I've not seen any, and Pin Shooter has some BIG Hands, try to put the off finger over the trigger guard.

The Reloads just look like the need practice, practice and a bit more practice. But good otherwise, just don't start worrying about time do it smooth every time and you'll get where you need to be.

I've got long thin hands and shoot with my finger on the front of the trigger guard even with Jordan Trooper grips. Not "correct" anymore but a lot of 1911's got squared trigger guards just to make it easier, look at the trigger guards on many current bottom feeders. If you've got long thin hands and a lot of reach (see how close you come to touching your thumb and index finger around a 12 oz can) your fingers gotta go somewhere. Getting your finger blasted from the barrel/cyl gap because you're finger is on the trigger guard is BS, doesn't happen even with my 44 mag.

Well Armed:

As long as your doing you reload safely and as long as the reload is comfortable for you then that's all that matters. If that reload is as consistent as you have demonstrated in your videos then you will be fine. Just practice and be as consistent as possible.