Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standards at IRC

So instead of just not putting black on the x-rings, like standards has never had, you are going to throw the stage out because you cannot have your way??? I guess I'm going to do some serious thinking here in the next couple of weeks and may ask for my $ back and go and shoot the High Desert Classic which is only a 4 hour drive instead of 18 hour drive. The tone of the IRC this years may just turn out to become a pissing match and may not want to be there for it.

John...I am not going to say there will be black Xs and have people practice that way and then say no black Xs and start practicing all over again without the black Xs. It is fairer to all to replace the stages with something different. I is over and done. The dreaded Far and Near is gone. Next year if someone else steps up to the plate, he or she can put it back in the match.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again.....Being a Match Director is a thankless job. I am glad that Nelson volunteered. Whatever the verdict, we are still shooting revolvers and enjoying a great weekend at one the the nicest ranges, with some of the best people, and having a ball at the same time.

John, I know you won't miss the Match, because you have a great time every year, and many of your friends want to see you, as bad as you want to see them.

It might be fun to have things changed up a bit this year. :D

See you all soon.

By the way, I finally shot a 6 in practise ( With Timers ) without the Black Dots....I know it is only practise, but it is still the best practise I have ever shot......I think I have Rudy @ Billy Bullets to thanks for that. I just hope I haven't wasted the good ones in Prac. :cheers:

No "Near and Fear" Standards. Oh well I will be there and plan on having a great time. I may not practice....Yea Right!! See you guys in a few weeks. It will be fun because we can gang up on Pin Shooter. later rdd :cheers:

Wouldn't it be better if you didn't know exactly what the stage would be like, and instead of grooving in one particular thing, you were forced to become generally proficient at getting good fast hits at all practical distances, achieving fast and consistent reloads on demand, shooting strong/weak-hand-only when necessary, shooting on the move, and all the other general shooting skills it takes to become the best possible all-around revolver shooter you can be?

Instead of just setting up one stage and shooting the goddam thing over and over?

Lets see, 50 yds, draw, go prone, 6 rounds, 6 targets and 6 x's under 9 seconds. 25 yds, draw, 6 rounds, 6 targets, 6 x's under 7 seconds. 12 yds, draw, 6 rounds, 3 targets, reload, 6 rounds, 3 targets 12 x's under 10 seconds. 3 yds, draw, 6 rounds, 3 targets, strong hand only, reload, 6 rounds, 3 targets, weak hand only, 12 x's under 10 seconds. This cover good fast hits at all practical distances. (50yds, 25yds, 12yds, 3yds and all x's) Achieving fast and consistent reloads on demand, I think the following covers that (6 rounds reload 6 rounds at 12 yds and 3 yds under 10 seconds and all x's) and last but not least 12 rounds strong hand and weak hand at 3 yds under 10 seconds and all x's. The only thing not covered is shooting on the move and I can practice that during my dry fire time. The other general skills I try to pick up during local matches. :surprise:

I achieve all the above by setting up one stage during my practice session and shooting the (lets not take god's name in vain after all it is Easter)dam thing over and over again and to my standards I have become the best revolver shooter I want to be. :goof:

Well if next weekend allows, it will be back off to the range to practice the F&N standards and this time I will practice a little harder knowing that I am practicing fast good hits at all practical distances, achieving fast and consistent reloads on demand and shooting strong and weak hand. I might even take a few rounds and run around while I shoot at targets and if I have time I will work on some of my other general shooting skills. Lord knows I need help there. :devil:

Keep them in the X-Ring

Revoman

You mean all this writing was for nothing and I wasted my good sarcasm and now we are not going to shoot anything resembling the F&N. What will I ever do, I know I will show up, still have a good time, see friends that I only see once a year, drink some beer, tell some old stories and this year deep sea fishing on Thursday since I shot my classifiers at the Rocky Mountain Regional. Oh by the way I did practice with the black x-ring and I actually shot better (in the mid teens) as I was going prone at 25 and picking up 6 x's and I was practicing with the par times. See you all in Kalifornia

Revoman :devil:

• 5 weeks later...
Wouldn't it be better if you didn't know exactly what the stage would be like, and instead of grooving in one particular thing, you were forced to become generally proficient at getting good fast hits at all practical distances, achieving fast and consistent reloads on demand, shooting strong/weak-hand-only when necessary, shooting on the move, and all the other general shooting skills it takes to become the best possible all-around revolver shooter you can be?

Instead of just setting up one stage and shooting the goddam thing over and over?

Lets see, 50 yds, draw, go prone, 6 rounds, 6 targets and 6 x's under 9 seconds. 25 yds, draw, 6 rounds, 6 targets, 6 x's under 7 seconds. 12 yds, draw, 6 rounds, 3 targets, reload, 6 rounds, 3 targets 12 x's under 10 seconds. 3 yds, draw, 6 rounds, 3 targets, strong hand only, reload, 6 rounds, 3 targets, weak hand only, 12 x's under 10 seconds. This cover good fast hits at all practical distances. (50yds, 25yds, 12yds, 3yds and all x's) Achieving fast and consistent reloads on demand, I think the following covers that (6 rounds reload 6 rounds at 12 yds and 3 yds under 10 seconds and all x's) and last but not least 12 rounds strong hand and weak hand at 3 yds under 10 seconds and all x's. The only thing not covered is shooting on the move and I can practice that during my dry fire time. The other general skills I try to pick up during local matches. :surprise:

I achieve all the above by setting up one stage during my practice session and shooting the (lets not take god's name in vain after all it is Easter)dam thing over and over again and to my standards I have become the best revolver shooter I want to be. :goof:

Well if next weekend allows, it will be back off to the range to practice the F&N standards and this time I will practice a little harder knowing that I am practicing fast good hits at all practical distances, achieving fast and consistent reloads on demand and shooting strong and weak hand. I might even take a few rounds and run around while I shoot at targets and if I have time I will work on some of my other general shooting skills. Lord knows I need help there. :devil:

Keep them in the X-Ring

Revoman

You mean all this writing was for nothing and I wasted my good sarcasm and now we are not going to shoot anything resembling the F&N. What will I ever do, I know I will show up, still have a good time, see friends that I only see once a year, drink some beer, tell some old stories and this year deep sea fishing on Thursday since I shot my classifiers at the Rocky Mountain Regional. Oh by the way I did practice with the black x-ring and I actually shot better (in the mid teens) as I was going prone at 25 and picking up 6 x's and I was practicing with the par times. See you all in Kalifornia

Revoman :devil:

Well guys and gals we had an IRC without "Far and Near" and we survived. When I announced there would be no "Far and Near" in the match at the shooters meeting the yehs were deafening. I was told there were many boos, but I did not hear them, I guess because I was up front and all the boos were in the back. Oh well, I guess all the booers don't like to sit up front. In other words, the yehs overpowered the boos. Pat Hogue announced Hogue Inc. would like to do a bounty stage of $1,000 dollars and mentioned "Far and Near" at the awards ceremony with great response. I personally believe the response was for the $1,000, not "Far and Near". I have received only good comments by email about "Far and Near" being gone. Therefore, "Far and Near" will remain out of the IRC as long as I am MD. If someone, someday steps up to the plate, they can put "Far and Near" back in the match. I surely would not like to be that person, the repercussions could be very, very bad.

Thanks to all of you loyal wheelgunners who attended the match. Thanks to all the gracious sponsors. Keep the cylinders turning.

Nelson

Edited by Nelson

I was one of the booers(I was up front) and would like to see it back. But as you stated you are the man and as MD it is your choice. Regardless of the F&N being at this match you put on one helluva match and I applaud you and if the F&N is in or out I will still be there. Take a bow Nelson you deserve it.

Revoman

Loved the Match, It was said by many that the stages at this match were the best in years. I personally enjoyed Clam Chowder as I shot it 25th overall and just hosed it I even shot the popper twice. However, there was no one to share my glory except the RO's, as I was shooting through so I could get back to the stage I was RO'ing with Paul.

I knew I shot a great time and only had 1 b hit. Until I compared it with other shooters I did not know just how good.

As for the Far and Near it probably only made a 20 sec difference to my score as the stage that it was replaced with was a long field course and I shot it in about 80 seconds including penalties.

AGAIN GREAT MATCH AND GREAT STAGES.

I loved the match. Never got to shoot it with Far and Near though so not much to compare it to. IMHO Over the River and Through The Woods was way more fun to shoot than a boring standards stage but that's just what I prefer to do. Only change I could think of would have been to have stage 12 as a squaded stage instead of a free for all.

Great match Nelson and we plan on being back again next year!

Bruce Schmidt

Great Match, But I missed the Standards!

I would like to see the timeless version of the Standards in the match next year. I think the lack of overtime penalty would make it a better stage for the newer shooters and the top shooters will still be rewarded for X hits.

Thanks to all the RO's and Staff that made this year's IRC another great match.

John Bagakis

Great Match, But I missed the Standards!

I would like to see the timeless version of the Standards in the match next year. I think the lack of overtime penalty would make it a better stage for the newer shooters and the top shooters will still be rewarded for X hits.

Thanks to all the RO's and Staff that made this year's IRC another great match.

John Bagakis

+1 I thought the Timeless Stage was a great compromise from everyone. I hope to see it one day.