Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using a Sling

I'm looking for experienced folks to give tips on using a sling in a match, I have not before. I've got the very basics, like making sure it's a quality product with strong swivels so that it doesn't break and DQ me, but other info and technique I would appreciate. I'm not using a single-point, just a regular BlackHawk sling.

Thanks!

Go to your local highpower rifle club and ask for instruction in proper sling usage.

Its easier than trying to write it all down here for you and although I can tell you what to do its easier to understand and much less confusing when someone shows you what to do.

You can buy the book "Highpower Rifle Competition" by Randolph Constantine and check out the sling instruction in there. Good with lots of pictures to follow.

Also WWW.JARHEADTOP.COM Msgt Owens who has books and DVDs dealing with using the sling and he even offers a "No pulse" sling for sale through the website.

Good luck,

JK

I think Chris is specifically asking about using a sling to carry a rifle/shotgun in an action type 3-gun match (BRM3G) as opposed to slinging up in a High power competition. How do you control the muzzle, keep the slung rifle/shotgun clear of other gear etc. etc.. am I correct Chris??

Yes Mark, thanks. I've been adjusting it and "practicing" with it, seems to be the most secure and keeps the muzzle safest when I have it tight and muzzle up.

I think Chris is specifically asking about using a sling to carry a rifle/shotgun in an action type 3-gun match (BRM3G) as opposed to slinging up in a High power competition. How do you control the muzzle, keep the slung rifle/shotgun clear of other gear etc. etc.. am I correct Chris??

I made the loop suit and covered my shotgun with hooks, now I'm waiting for my wife to come home and pull the shotgun off me, I can't get it... :roflol:

ChristianHE

1.Wrap your gun completely with Velcro.

2. Then use the other side of the Velcro to make a suit.

3. Don suit

4. Then stick as needed.

:roflol::ph34r:

I am a reader, so I will get a copy of Constantine's book, thanks for the info...

Go to your local highpower rifle club and ask for instruction in proper sling usage.

Its easier than trying to write it all down here for you and although I can tell you what to do its easier to understand and much less confusing when someone shows you what to do.

You can buy the book "Highpower Rifle Competition" by Randolph Constantine and check out the sling instruction in there. Good with lots of pictures to follow.

Also WWW.JARHEADTOP.COM Msgt Owens who has books and DVDs dealing with using the sling and he even offers a "No pulse" sling for sale through the website.

Good luck,

JK

For Highpower or smallbore, you will be using a traditional match sling. Really hard to describe,its use on the internet: attach to front of stock, half a turn to the left, arm thru loop, tension adjusted tight, hand towards swivel.

For practical riflery, you may be using a tactical sling (to retain the rifle during movement etc), a "ching" sling for stability or even possibly (but rarely) a highpower sling. I've used a ching sling during situations calling for the kneeling or sitting position. I've learned a great deal from Kyle Lamb about the deployment of the VTAC sling for stability as well. I've even used a highpower sling in a 3 gun match but its been a while!

Ok so you're looking for more along the lines of a "Hasty" sling as opposed to a traditional "loop" sling such as used by us highpower rifle fanatics?

First (IMHO) Forget all the "bells and whistles" types of slings out there.

Get an old G.I. sling but NOT THE SLIPPERY NYLON ONES get a canvas one.

Take the sling and mount it to the rifle.

Leave some slack so its not in "Parade sling" configuration. FOr each person the amount of slack will vary but a good start is to have the sling adjusted so it forms a loop hanging down touching around the bottom of an inserted magazine. You will probably have to adjust it further but not knowing how big/small you are this will give you a good starting point.

Take the sling in hand and give it a 1/2 turn "outboard" or, for you non USMC types, away from the centerline of the body.

You can adjust it so you can place your support arm through the opening formed between the sling and the weapon so the sling winds up around the area of the back side of your upper arm. Because you gave it a half turn "outboard" it should be flat against the backside of your upper arm.

Now bring your support arm back towards you as if to salute the flag with that hand and chop down so the backside of your hand is flat against the sling up near the sling swivel and the sling is partially wrapped around your support arm.

If its too loose then tighten it up by re-adjusting and taking the slack out....too tight? Adjust so its looser.

You have to find the point where its god for YOU.

Then take a marker and mark the sling so you can return it to the setting for your "Hasty" sling every time.

You probably should go out and shoot it multiple times before marking it to allow for "settling" in to the sling (getting used to it).

I hope I have explained it ok and not confused anyone.

I will take the blame if guys are scratching their heads and saying "Huh?" right now.

Its hard to understand without pictures or seeing it done in front of you.

The reason I pick a G.I. sling is that once it is in place minor/major adjustments can be made quickly without too much fuss.

For other slings such as the afore mentioned Bells and whistles types, (Many of which I have owned and used) the adjustments are almost always much more involved and complicated.

I have used various types of slings and I have to say the plain Jane G.I. sling is probably the easiest to adjust and learn how to use and is highly functional especially to someone shooting 3 gun or other events. It can also be used as a loop sling if the need arises to make a long range shot and the shooter has the time to get into a loop sling.

Good luck.

JK

PS When in doubt the velcro idea sounds good (lol).

Edited by JKSNIPER

In Kyle Lamb's book "Green Eyes and Black Rifles", he covers lots of uses of the sling. Of course he is using the V-tac, but it is good info. Good Stuff. You can also check out his video on you tube.

+1 Get Kyle's book. It's got tons of pictures and techniques for using a sling to stabalize the rifle for carbine/3-gun type shooting. His V-Tac sling is great, but the techniques are applicable to lots of sling designs. Also many great tips for using barricades, supporting the rifle, shooting from unconventional postions etc.

Its a must read for 3-gunning.

Kyle Lamb's Black Rifles, Green Eyes, on order from Amazon!

I was just checking out some pictures of 3-gun matches where slings are used, and the 180 in is definitely broken by the muzzles of some of the competitors pictured- some with the muzzle down and pointing a little back behind the person...

Is there a "preferred" position for the rifle (safety wise), muzzle down or muzzle up?

Also, unrelated... Kellyn: (Mr. Neal?) Awesome... I just noticed you're a "Metal Head" too... some of my faves:Drowning Pool and Disturbed, 'Maiden, 'Priest, 'Leppard. I was fortunate enough to see Dime play in San Diego about a month before he was shot. Rock on!

For Highpower or smallbore, you will be using a traditional match sling. Really hard to describe,its use on the internet: attach to front of stock, half a turn to the left, arm thru loop, tension adjusted tight, hand towards swivel.

For practical riflery, you may be using a tactical sling (to retain the rifle during movement etc), a "ching" sling for stability or even possibly (but rarely) a highpower sling. I've used a ching sling during situations calling for the kneeling or sitting position. I've learned a great deal from Kyle Lamb about the deployment of the VTAC sling for stability as well. I've even used a highpower sling in a 3 gun match but its been a while!

Be sure to read and understand the match rules when it comes to using a sling. There are many scenario's where a sling can be used, i.e., shooting the carbine and then finishing a stage with the secondary weapon (visa-versa). The stage description, if nicely written, will serve as your guide. Think safety if your new to sling use.

+1 on Kyle's book and his matches (sometime ago).

I was just checking out some pictures of 3-gun matches where slings are used, and the 180 in is definitely broken by the muzzles of some of the competitors pictured- some with the muzzle down and pointing a little back behind the person...

I asked the MD for BRM3G about this. I specifically asked how the RO's were going to handle the 180 with respect to slung long guns. His response was

"All the slung guns will have empty chambers, therefore will not be an issue".

Sounds reasonable to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Step one, get rid of any three point slings that happen to be within driving distance of your location. There's nothing a three point sling can do that a two point adjustable doesn't do better and with less webbing to hang up on your gear. Three point slings were state of the art five years ago, but they've been surpassed by the Viking Tactics VTAC, Blue Force Gear VCAS, and the new convertible Magpul sling, the MS2. It can be run as a one point or two point. All of them are better than three point slings, although the quick adjustability and very wide range of adjustment that the VTAC has puts it at the top. These slings are the current state of the art in tactical carbine slings.