Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith for AR-15

murphyslaw

Hey Guys, I'm pretty new here but have been finding out lots of great info. I'm attempting to build an AR from parts I'm finding cheap. I need to attach a 16" bb to a flat-top upper. Does anyone know of a GOOD gunsmith, preferably in Omaha or the immediate area, who is capable of doing something like this with out goofing anything up?

it is also a great way to learn yourself. unlike building a 1911/2011, an AR can be much easier, just because you won't need a lathe or mill-just some specific tools. assuming you got a good barrel that has the extension installed, and a bolt that head spaces properly, it is pretty easy.

it is also a great way to learn yourself. unlike building a 1911/2011, an AR can be much easier, just because you won't need a lathe or mill-just some specific tools. assuming you got a good barrel that has the extension installed, and a bolt that head spaces properly, it is pretty easy.

I built my first one many moons ago, was very easy and I learned soo much, and had the personal pride of doing it myself.

Understanding the gun, is part of understanding shooting

:cheers: and you'll have fun doing it..

I'll gladly let him do it as this will most likely be the only time I try to build an AR one part at a time. I think I'll go with buying complete uppers and lowers and put together as needed. I do have an older Bushmaster that has the rear sight all the way to the left to sight it in. I"ve heard that there were several years where Bushmaster had this problem with the rearsight all the way right or left to sight them in. Maybe I'll get this fixed also.

I'll gladly let him do it as this will most likely be the only time I try to build an AR one part at a time. I think I'll go with buying complete uppers and lowers and put together as needed. I do have an older Bushmaster that has the rear sight all the way to the left to sight it in. I"ve heard that there were several years where Bushmaster had this problem with the rearsight all the way right or left to sight them in. Maybe I'll get this fixed also.

"IF" you can find an upper that is exactly what you want, buy it. If you cannot, then you either have someone else build it or you build it yourself.

AR's are not all that complicated. That said, there is a right way and about 1200 wrong ways. 99% of the wrong ways will still end up with a gun that runs but is not running perfect or at its peak of accuracy potential.

Is the rifle going to be used for competition ? Duty ? How accurate and reliable does it need to be ? If you can risk it or want to see just how well you can do on your own, I'd say go for it. If not, then have someone who know what they are doing build it.

Take a look at this link on ar15.com http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&...=4&t=226782

it helped me out a lot on my first build. and your going to need some tools in which to do so. but you can pick them up at brownells. your going to need a armors block and a barrel nut wrench at the least. but its all very simple and very fun and rewarding. as far as headspacing is concerned just make sure the bolt is new and you should be gtg. ymmv gl