Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accepting Charlie and Deltas

boz1911

Shooting revolver, you can't give up any shots, otherwise there's a fat 3 second penalty waiting for you in most cases. That said, I find it so much more mentally comfortable to shoot quality shots and not have to worry about what just happened, and instead focus on what is about to happen. It has really freed my brain up to make dynamic decisions during a stage without losing time.

H.

I agree, I noticed at A6 how accurate the revolver guys were. For the most part they can't give up points because every shot is planned without excess capacity to make one up.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I noticed at A6 how accurate the revolver guys were. For the most part they can't give up points because every shot is planned without excess capacity to make one up.

I found shooting SSTK to be similar in that respect. True, you start with more rounds than a revolver, but not by much.

• 4 weeks later...
question: if while shooting a stage and you called a D on one of the targets. do you re-engage or not?

You need to know how many spare rounds you have in the magazine, and be prepared...mentally...if you are going to make up Deltas (Major) or Charlies (Minor).

And, you'd want to see that you'd need a make-up and then make it up just like another split on the target. It is often worth it then, but if you have swung off the target and have to swing back...the math gets worse.

Oh...and as far as a mental exercise (kinda the point of this thread)... It can be real good to make it up, because your are training your mind to only accept good hits.

question: if while shooting a stage and you called a D on one of the targets. do you re-engage or not?

You need to know how many spare rounds you have in the magazine, and be prepared...mentally...if you are going to make up Deltas (Major) or Charlies (Minor).

And, you'd want to see that you'd need a make-up and then make it up just like another split on the target. It is often worth it then, but if you have swung off the target and have to swing back...the math gets worse.

Oh...and as far as a mental exercise (kinda the point of this thread)... It can be real good to make it up, because your are training your mind to only accept good hits.

While it's not a perfect analogy, I recall someone saying they saw Eric G making up C's at a big match (maybe the World Shoot?). Granted, that's with an Open gun and probably on a stage where he knew he had quite a few extra rounds in the mag to start with, but it still says something.

I don't try to overly pat myself on the back, but whenever I quickly make up a D or really wide C with an A I like to give myself a mental "good job"....not for shooting the C or D, but for calling the shot without looking at the hit on the target, knowing it wasn't right and making it up immediately. If the math doesn't work out in my favor I don't really care in that situation. R,

I've mentioned that a time or two...

From the video of the European Championships a few years ago, IIRC.

I think it was actually Deltas he was making up...but some of them were while he was on the move. Rather impressive.

Only if I thought it was(might be) a miss.

That's pretty much me. If the shot broke that close to the edge I'll make it up. I usually figure about a tenth of a second per point for make ups. The higher the round count on a stage the less likely I'll make it up.

I threw a makeup last weekend at the Mississippi Classic on a run and gun stage(22 rounds/11 seconds) and because it was done on the run it added two full steps my run but was still worth the extra points after it was all said and done.

Another factor can be how quickly you called the D. If you didn't call it with certainty, and had to "decide" (e.g., "think) to shoot the make up shot, then it probably wouldn't be worth it - if you knew the shot wasn't a miss.

On the other had, if the make up shot came effortlessly and immediately (no "decision") due to a decisive call - end of story.

be