Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO Level 1 Class - OHIO

FranDoc

RO Level 1 class

Sat/Sun June 27-28 (this is the weekend AFTER the Area 5 match)

Pickaway County Sportsmen's range - Circleville OH (site of the 2009 OH Sectional match)

Instructor: Area 5 Director Gary Stevens

Please PM for questions or other registration info.

Oh, come on. Can't you guys run a CRO course too? I'll be the first to sign up.

If you want to coordinate one, talk with Flex.

As Frank said, they're not hugely popular or well-attended.

We're running this RO class to build our cadre of range staff in advance of the OH Sectional. [Y'all c'mon down now, y'hear?].

ETA: saying this without checking the NROI website in detail: there used to be an option to do some (all?) of the CRO certification by mail. Not sure if that is still available, or if I'm even remembering it correctly. Check www.nroi.org for current info.

Edited by FranDoc

What Fran said is true - we need RO's more than we do CRO's. I believe we got plenty of them.

But it's weird that you say that about the CRO classes. When I took mine I think we were FULL, or at least close to it. Took it last Summer right here in Dayton Dan. Where were you? :rolleyes:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

What Fran said is true - we need RO's more than we do CRO's. I believe we got plenty of them.

But it's weird that you say that about the CRO classes. When I took mine I think we were FULL, or at least close to it. Took it last Summer right here in Dayton Dan. Where were you? :rolleyes:

I took the RO course at Miamisburg and they had a CRO course that same week I just couldn't get the time off work.

• 2 weeks later...

T-minus ~90 days to class, ~60 days to registration deadline.

We have space.

PM me if interested.

Please include your email address; I can't attach the class registration form to return PM's.

Thanks!

Interested in taking the RO class.

what is all the differences between RO CRO and so on?

Range Officer class is mostly about USPSA rules, saftey, and running shooters. Great for the newer shooter just to learn the rules even if they don't ever RO at a match.

The Chief Range Officer class is mostly about stage design and setup following USPSA rule, requires you to submit 2 course of fire. You must be a RO for one year before you can recieve your CRO cert.

For additional info see Rule book, USPSA and NROI website.

MDA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BTT (yes ... again ...).

Class slots are available, please PM ASAP if interested.

Gary gives a good class and we'll have a good time doing it.

See prior message if you'd rather hand-off your paperwork in person.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

BTT and reminder for anyone still '... thinking ...' about this.

I'll be calling the roster count into NROI at this time next week.

Still have some slots available, please PM if interested or if you have questions.

Many thanks.

Last call.

If interested, if potentially interested, if you're waiting to find out if you have that weekend off before thinking about this class, please let me know now.

I will be ordering a few extra books for late-comers ... just in case ... but I'd hate to be one short ....

Let me know.

If you need carpool info (I've already PM'd on the prior msg), I can pass that along.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

For anybody debating whether to go or not...

It will probably be a couple of years until the next RO class, from what I am seeing. Probably looking at 2011.

If anybody in the area thinks they might want to take the USPSA/NROI Level I Range Officer course...now would be the time.

It will help your shooting. It will make you an asset to those you share time with on the range. It will help ensure the continued growth of our sport.

I understand there has been some last minute shuffling. A couple people can't make the class, while a handful more joined in. (Everybody thank Fran for organizing this this. She is doing great work here!)

The word from Gary Stevens (instructor) is that they will not turn anybody away at the door. :)

If you need a class, or want a great refresher, now is the time.

Correct. Y'all c'mon down now, y'hear? [i'm from the Great White North, but went to grad school south of the Mason-Dixon line and learned the word "y'all"]

We have "X" class packets, based on the number of people signed up -- plus those who'd talked to me about possibly signing up -- when I had to give that number to NROI. Yes, I ordered extra, 'just in case'.

In a span of 24 hours, I've had two folks cancel (work & a family emergency) and at least four others want to come on a last-minute basis.

Word from instructor Gary Stevens is that we'll just share books if we're short, and make arrangements to photocopy the test if there aren't enough to pass around. We'll handle it; we'll make it work. You'll get a GREAT class from a GREAT instructor (who will be one of the CRO's at the OH Sectional/IPSC National matches in October). This IS 'worth it'.

As previously, this is the ONLY class left in Area 5 this year, and likely the only OH Level 1 class until 2011 (unless we hear some HUGE - and I mean 2 dozen of you - swell of interest next summer).

If you've been maybe thinking about this, if you've been waiting to see what happens once the kids are out of school, if time has 'gotten away from you' and you think it might be 'too late', NOW is the time to decide to attend. This is also the least expensive RO class that you'll see -- lower cost because it is associated with the OH Sectional.

If you have any questions, stray thoughts, doubts, hesitations, or need persuasion otherwise, send me a PM.

I'd prefer that you not just 'show up', completely unannounced, on Saturday but, if that happens, we'll deal with it (class fee cash-American for walk-in's, please).

As others have said, even if you never RO it is worth the effort to learn the rules. RO's sometimes make mistakes, yes I hate to say it but it is true. It is a good thing when you know that you are being subjected to a bad RO call. There can be some significant differences between one rulebook and the next one. Unfortunately, not everyone RO's and shooters take the trouble to keep up on the differences.

Come on down, up or over and we will have a good time.

Mr. Bullitt and I will be there on Friday night, after I get off work and we will start around 8:30 Saturday morning. Remember you need your shooting gear for the range exercise Sunday morning.

You don't have to shoot, but you need to RO a shooter. So someone might need to shoot a couple of times. 18 rounds minimum are needed.

Gary