Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once again

Alan Adamson

Ok, I guess I'm just brain dead. And at the moment, i"m also Choro handicapped (don't have one as of yet).

I have an XDM 40 (4.5" barrel - stock). I have some N320 powder and I'd like to come up with a load that would work as Minor in this gun. Oh, I also have 500 Rainier plated 180g TC bullets.

I've seen the other recipes and I've been to the VV website. The closest thing I could find was for a Foccicha(sp) LTC (I believe that is Lead truncated cone) 180 with N320. It was for a 5.25" barrel and started at 3.5gr at 883 fps to 4.3gr at 1010fps.

BIG ASSUMPTION, but a 4.5" barrel should have less velocity than a 5.25" and in doing some basic web surfing I found some data that suggested that at those velocities that it would lower the rate by approx 25 fps. So using excel, I just did a linear extrapolation (yes I know it's probably not 100% accurate) to give me a break down of fps on the 5.25" barrel for 0.1grs of powder from 3.5 to 4.3, then I backed those off by 25 fps each and calculated the PF for each.

That give approx the following

gr pf

3.5 154.4

3.6 157.3

3.7 160.2

3.8 163.0

3.9 165.9

4.0 168.9

4.1 171.6

4.2 174.4

4.3 177.3

I then loaded up some 4.0grs to the spec length of 1.125. Haven't shot them yet, and while this is predicted to be a Major load, only a Chrono will tell.

I only loaded about 10 right now, just got the press setup and didn't want a bunch that were wrong.

So I have the following questions for you experienced guys

a) from a pure safety standpoint, do you see anything wrong with 4.0gr as a load to at least make sure they function the gun?

B) anyone have any data for this particular gun that says one number vs. the other for a starting point for a minor load?

I guess only a chrono will tell, but I'd like at least some justification that my gun won't grenade in my hand from this starting point?

Thanks in advance.... don't you experienced guys just love us newbies that ask all this *dumb* questions? :)

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
Ive used 320 @ 3.8 grains, 1.135 Oal, 180 zero, I really like this round for light shooting. My G35 runs good with it, and if you want try cheaper lighter load try 3.5 grains TG?

Very close to a couple of my favorites. I really like 3.5 grains TG or 4.0 grains N-320 under 180 Rainiers or Zeros...both @ 1.130.

TG will work, but you will like Clays better. 2.8 - 3.0 gr will work just fine - depending on whose plated/jacketed bullet you use. I load to 1.135-1.140". 2.8 went 728 fps and 3.0 goes 745 fps out of a G35 with a Precision Delta jacketed bullet. I switched to moly coated bullets several years ago and have never looked back.

Ive used 320 @ 3.8 grains, 1.135 Oal, 180 zero, I really like this round for light shooting. My G35 runs good with it, and if you want try cheaper lighter load try 3.5 grains TG?

I've been loading 3.8 grains of TG with 180 grain MG's at 1.126 OAL in my G35. I experimented down to 3.5 grains but had intermittent FTE's. After finding the floor I worked back up to 3.8 for a good overall combination of feel and accuracy not to mention no FTE issues. Life is good...

I've been loading 3.8 grains of TG with 180 grain MG's at 1.126 OAL in my G35. I experimented down to 3.5 grains but had intermittent FTE's. After finding the floor I worked back up to 3.8 for a good overall combination of feel and accuracy not to mention no FTE issues. Life is good...

Ive never had any problems with 3.5 of TG, but I wouldnt want to go any lower of charge than that.

who's molys are you using? Or maybe better, for 40, who are the main guys making molys? I've got a pretty good list of plateds, or jacketeds, but not sure who's how in moly ville :)

Thanks in advance,

Alan

I like the precision bullets they are more accurate than plated and much cheaper

jamie

• 2 weeks later...

I am also using 3.5gr TTG behind Precision 170's, that makes a 139pf out of my XDM. They seem to hold a good group and shoot clean. My buddy has a bullet casting business and I went and picked up some 180's today to try. His bullets are VERY hard, coming out at 18-19 brinell hardness, I checked them myself. Can't wait to shoot them. I'll shoot the 180's in my STI Executive in Major PF. That hard they shouldn't lead any.