Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm torn on 6 vs. 8

I bought a PC 627 for ICORE, and now I'm trying to line everything up to reload for the damned thing, get moonclips, holders, etc. But I really, really like my 625s. So, a question: When you shoot the IRC, if you shoot it with an 8 shot, how often do you use the 7th or 8th round? If with a 6 shot, how often did you wish you could make up a shot or were forced to an extra reload? I thinking that a 200gr RN loaded to the same speed in a 625 as my 230gr. load would be a great compromise for reload speed, feel, and similar ballistics.

H.

I bought a PC 627 for ICORE, and now I'm trying to line everything up to reload for the damned thing, get moonclips, holders, etc. But I really, really like my 625s. So, a question: When you shoot the IRC, if you shoot it with an 8 shot, how often do you use the 7th or 8th round? If with a 6 shot, how often did you wish you could make up a shot or were forced to an extra reload? I thinking that a 200gr RN loaded to the same speed in a 625 as my 230gr. load would be a great compromise for reload speed, feel, and similar ballistics.

H.

Such a dilema (Got two guns but can only shoot one at a time) One can be quite competitive with either. Take a look on your accuarcy at 50 and 25 yards and then make that dicission. The Far and Near Standards is only one stage but can make at least 25% of your score if not done properly. The 8 shot can be shot all 8 times in some instances. The stage design is such that a 6 shot reload 6 shot will not hamper you. If you are taking that 7th and 8th shot to make up misses, a steady 6 shot will clean your clock. Take both out and shoot them and the decission should be yours. Shoot to YOUR strengths. CYA at the IRC. Are you gonna make the Southern Regionals in Louisanna? Great match. later rdd

I voluntarily shot a 625 at the IRC a couple years ago and finished in the top 5 in Limited division. I never regretted using it, right up until it was time for the shoot-off on Sunday, then I realized they set up the shoot-off to strongly favor the 8-rounders (so I let another guy shoot in my place). Otherwise, though, the 625 worked great. Like Bubber says, with ICORE scoring, you cannot be using those extra rounds to make up misses. And only rarely will those extra rounds be useful in saving a reload or whatever.

Edited by Carmoney

Hmm, I see your point, there are only 3 shots unlimited stages at the match on paper targets, and most of the steel is designed with a miss in mind. I may just have to go straight .45 and not worry about the shootoff.

H.

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago I finished in the mid 50's with my 610.. Last year I finished in the mid 60's with my 627... I have since gone back to my 610. Longer sight radius, familiarity (10 year + shooting the 610, only a year shooting the 627) and lower recoil and muzzle jump felt for minor (6.5" barrel compared to 5", the 610 is heavier and less snappy for minor). I load the same ammo regardless of IPSC or ICORE so I can stick to one thing and not have to change up depending on which flavor match. I say shoot the 6-shooter and use what you know. Reloads for the 625 will likely be faster than for the 627. I think I'm going to now use my 627 for steel and when I feel like shooting L10 with a wheelgun.

• 1 month later...

While that's true, Nelson usually doesn't hit you with more than 5 steel in any position in a COF. He likes to make things fair for the 6- shooters.. While extra shots are nice, taking extra shots means you are wasting time.. It only takes an additional tenth of a second to get a better sight picture, it may take up to a half second or more to take that extra shot after a miss since you aren't expecting to miss. Try to make every shot count and try to go 1 for 1 on all steel.

Edited by sargenv

If I could hit steel, I would my 625 in a second. The faster reloads are big in the field courses. It is not often you can save a reload with the 8 shooter.