Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Enlightenment is a direct experience with reality.

Tangram

Pema Chodron

About the path.... reality

We can drop the fundamental hope that there is a better "me" who one day will emerge. We can't just jump over ourselves as if we were not there.

Pema Chodron : From the book "When Things Fall Apart"

The truth you believe and cling to makes you unavailable to hear anything new.

Pema Chodron

Pema Chodron

About the path.... reality

We can drop the fundamental hope that there is a better "me" who one day will emerge. We can't just jump over ourselves as if we were not there.

Pema Chodron : From the book "When Things Fall Apart"

The truth you believe and cling to makes you unavailable to hear anything new.

Pema Chodron

Wouldn't one of these quotes lead a person to believe that our futures are predestined?

Wouldn't one of these quotes lead a person to believe that our futures are predestined?

Not at all. The first quote is a very eloquent description of what enlightenment is. The second is about the process of reaching enlightenment, and the third is saying that our current unshakeable beliefs will keep us from finding the true nature of things.

A weak explanation of some exquisite sayings.

Edited by Neomet

Wisdom is where you find it.

One afternoon, I found myself watching Gilligan's island. Nothing new under the sun, Gilligan was doing Icarus. The Professor had, like Daedalus, fashioned wings and Gilligan had "risen" to the occasion. The scene opens to find "The Skipper" crashing through the jungle (he ALWAYS crashed) He emerges into the clearing over which Gilligan is hovering, with the Professors wings, glee all over his face and the Skipper says "Gilligan, what are you doing up there!" Gilligan replies " I'm flyin' Skipper!!!" The Skipper says " You can't do that!" To which Gilligan replies " I can't??" The Skipper says " NO!!" .......and down came Gilligan in a heap in the sand.

Those are the beliefs. Those are the voices whose instruction you received when you knew no better and thus accepted utterly. It is an extraordinary being that can reach that level of belief and release those false pronouncements.

We always do what we learn first! Take care what you say to a child.

How much of this discussion applies to each of your shooting abilities and/or your mindset prior to a match? I really enjoy reading the quotes and giving it a great deal of thought even though where I'm from here in the deep south it's not commonly practiced or accepted. Is there a specific book that I might could buy to learn a little more from.

Thanks,

Bryan

How much of this discussion applies to each of your shooting abilities and/or your mindset prior to a match? I really enjoy reading the quotes and giving it a great deal of thought even though where I'm from here in the deep south it's not commonly practiced or accepted. Is there a specific book that I might could buy to learn a little more from.

Thanks,

Bryan

Shunru Suzuki's "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" is a good place to start. And keep coming back to too. It's simply written and deceptively deep.

be