Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Winning Mind -- Bassham

kaiserb

I recently read The Winning Mind by Bassham.

I am trying to apply the Mental Program section to a sport such as IDPA/USPSA. Here is my first crack at developing a program from each of the points.

1. The point of initiation.
    The load and make ready command. (30-120 seconds before stepping in the shooters box)

2. The point of attitude.
    Ask "What does it feel like to shoot a clean stage with optimum time?" Decide to shoot a clean, smooth stage.

3. The point of direction.
    Picture a smooth draw and engagement on each target, calling each shot.

4. The point of control.
    Grip and draw pistol to engage targets

5. The point of focus.
    Focus on a good sight picture ... see everything

Please feel free to give me some feedback and help me improve this. I am not sure I have everything in the right category. Also I think there may be additional things that should go in each category.

Thanks

I have read The Winning Mind also. Great book. I then read Brian Enos' book Practical Shooting. I am now reading it again very slowly. It took me 3 months last time, it might take longer this time.

When I had a real job in sales, I read a lot of PMI books. They are all close to the same. Fake it 'til you make it.

What I found in relating to shooting ( and I am not very good, but trying ) is that the harder I tried, the worster I got. Too many things to concentrate on. Forgot what I was doing. Forgot to have fun. From Brian's book I am learning to relax and enjoy and let it come to me....

I really enjoy reading and learning ( or trying to ) as long as it does not get in the way of having fun, which is why I shoot.

thanks,

George

I have the good fortune of knowing Lanny Bassham, and was teammates in the USAMU.

I took the courses, and practice them in everyday life when I can.

The key point is to program you mind with positive affirmations: i.e. program yourself with Shoot well before a stage instead of Don't FxxK up.

Mark

I just started reading Lanny's book after finishing both of Steve Anderson's books (great intro to Lanny's book and the dry fire drills are really working for me). Just a few pages into Lanny's book and I am already learning more about the mental game that I ever imagined.

• 2 years later...