Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips For A J Frame Square Butt

Bucky

I have a really nice S&W model 36. Problem is it is a square butt. There are many grips available, but most are big. I am looking for the most concealable model possible. They make some really tiny grips for the round butt, but haven't found anything decent for the square.

TIA ~bucky.

Hello, Bucky

Pachmayr had the Compac grip for the J frame square butt, I think that it's still available.

Gun Parts Corporation (www.e-GunParts.com) had the Pachmayr grip adaptors for the J frame square butt, in medium and large, part #538670 and #538680 respectively. These use your existing grips, the adaptor just fills in the gap between trigger guard and grip strap. This doesn't change the size of the revolver.

Another alternative, if you're good with wood working tools, is to buy the target grips and cut them down to fit the configuration you want. Again, Gun Parts Corporation has the grips, part # 299130, Stocks, square butt, target, checkered, GA wood.

I took a pair of rubber pachmayrs and gave them the belt sander treatment. Not pretty, but a custom fit....and a damn sight smaller than the stock pachmayrs - which are just ridiculously huge given the size of my hands.

The gun actually came with "Target" Grips. Darn grips are about the same as you would find on an early S&W Model 29! They're bigger than the gun. I thought the stock grips for this were small and outlined the frame. Now it has the Pachmayar's, but still they hang down about an inch lower than the frame. Looks like EricW's advice may be the way to go. Don't have a belt sander yet. Maybe dremel and hacksaws.

Bucky: Gun Parts Corporation (formerly Numrich) does have the Stocks, Square Butt, Service, checkered walnut, part # 299090

Thanks for the tip. I do a search by that part # and nothing comes up. I try to do a search. Depending on what I put in the search criteria, either it is too narrow and nothing is found, or I get a message that more than 200 records returned and prompts me to narrow my search.

:(

Bucky,

Here's what I cobbled up from a set of discount rubber grips. It looks like hell, but it's totally comfortable. I was totally ruthless about removing excess material so I could get my hand up as high as possible. (I don't know how anybody could get a decent hold with the way the grips came stock.)

The only real tricky part is hogging out underneath where the frame meets the trigger guard. There's no great way to do it, but you figure it out as you go. (And yes, I was actually smart enough to take the grips off the gun before going at them with the sander. :P)

RedhawkGripLHS.jpg

RedhawkGripRHS.jpg

(as I'm posting this, my webspace is down...hopefully it will be back up soon so you can actually see the pics.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just picked up these in an Auction:

856.JPG

These are smaller than my cut down Pachmayer grips because the metal grip fram is all exposed (no overlap). They may be a tad froufrou, so I put them on my wifes M36.

I'll certainly be checking out the brownells catalog. Thanks for the tip.