Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Dies & .40

Just Thinkin

Hey all,

Just gettin into the 40 cal. New Dillon press and dies on the way. I have 2500 once fired mixed brass that I purchased from the Brassman. I haven't gone through each piece yet but I'm guessing at least some of it is Glocked.

Before I get started are there some other dies I absolutly must have? FCD, precision this or that? U die, or will the Dillon dies serve me well until I learn what the h_ _ _ I'm doing?

By the way. Rounds will be run thru STI Edge with stock barrel.

Thanks

You didnt mention which press, If you got a SDB then you pretty much have to use SDB dies. If you got a 550 or 650 you can use whatever. I would highly reccommend the Dillon FCD as the last station. It has a carbide sizer built in to it that will take care of any bullet or brass belling deformities. Wind it down as far as you can get it and go with it. For .40 I use Dillon sizer, seater and Lee FCD.

40 S&W

On Range brass that I have not used before, I first use the "U" die in a single stage press. Not only does this "deGlock" the brass , it lets me inspect the brass before I use it.

On brass fired in MY G35 with an aftermarket barrel I just run them throught my 650 with dillon dies.

No problems yet

Edited by Beans

The press is a 650. Can't call Dillon on the weekend! Is the Dillon FCD part of the stadard package or do I need to order one ? If it is an option, is it any better or worse than a Lee FCD?

I don't want to get started then be held up after discovering I need some other widget. Ah, so much to learn ...........

Hello: The best setup I have found is the EGW "U" die, Redding or Hornady seater and the Dillon crimp die. The Hornady seater is good since it has a sleeve that holds the bullet sooner. The Hornady die needs the micrometer if you are loading for different bullets or guns. I don't have to chamber check any longer with this setup. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric