Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Speed Rig Setup

shiftclick

Never had a CR Speed rig or "race holster" and 4 x Versa mag holster and everything I've learned came from a Matt Burkett video. Any tips for a newbie to "race rigs"? For instance, I have the first versa mag holster turned so that my wrist and forearm are in alignment to pull the first mag, second mag, third and forth. However, I have my CR WMSII holster almost 90 degrees to the belt and at about 1:30. Is this right? Also, how far out should the WSMII be from my hip? I added in the 1 inch block as I couldn't get a "full grip" on the pistol holstered.

Not sure what to tweak and I will try to get some range time this weekend, but looking for some pointers in the meantime!

Thanks!

Shifty

What works for me, probably won't work for you. It's all based on preferences you develop over time. Take an empty gun to your desginated dry fire area, bring some allen wrenches, and "tinker". Something safe, and repeatable. Take into consideration all of the various types of "starts" in a USPSA COF, and also the different shooting positions you could find yourself in. go prone, start seated, start with your toes on marks and your body pointed somewhere else. Do some el presidente's, surrenders, find what doesn't work.

Edited by Aristotle

I'm a new guy myself and I've worked up from the bottom starting at my first match last March to (hopefully) making B this March, assuming one more B Limited classifier.

There are only two tips I am qualified to give out:

1. Good Dry Fire works wonders

2. Equipment won't buy you a game, but it sure does make it more fun!

I'd recommend looking at a lot of pictures of how pros wear their rigs (start here: http://www.steelchallenge.com/media/uspsa-photos.html ) and then tweak the setup to match your body movements. I've changed holsters a couple of times, and have fiddled with positioning a million times... and I'm fairly certain I will continue to refine it as I improve. With the holster, I started by holstering the gun, loosening all the bolts and then grabbing the grip. When it was in the most natural position, I had my wife lock down the bolts. Its a good start.

I'm a new guy myself and I've worked up from the bottom starting at my first match last March to (hopefully) making B this March, assuming one more B Limited classifier.

There are only two tips I am qualified to give out:

1. Good Dry Fire works wonders

2. Equipment won't buy you a game, but it sure does make it more fun!

I'd recommend looking at a lot of pictures of how pros wear their rigs (start here: http://www.steelchallenge.com/media/uspsa-photos.html ) and then tweak the setup to match your body movements. I've changed holsters a couple of times, and have fiddled with positioning a million times... and I'm fairly certain I will continue to refine it as I improve. With the holster, I started by holstering the gun, loosening all the bolts and then grabbing the grip. When it was in the most natural position, I had my wife lock down the bolts. Its a good start.

Dude, that last part is pretty good! I have been "massaging" my setup little by little but hadn't tried that last one. I'll try it and then report back. Thanks!

What works for me, probably won't work for you. It's all based on preferences you develop over time. Take an empty gun to your desginated dry fire area, bring some allen wrenches, and "tinker". Something safe, and repeatable. Take into consideration all of the various types of "starts" in a USPSA COF, and also the different shooting positions you could find yourself in. go prone, start seated, start with your toes on marks and your body pointed somewhere else. Do some el presidente's, surrenders, find what doesn't work.

I'm planning on taking your advice this weekend. I was basically looking for "little tweaks" like "don't point the hoster more than 2 degrees forward", etc. You're right about each setup being different, but you telling me "buying a 4th versa mag was retarded" versus "cant your WSMII outward 4 degrees to test your grip" are monumental. I've been shooting USPSA Limited/Limited 10 for a over a year with Fobus paddle mag/firearm holsters so i'm extremely surprised at the difference!

I feel like i've finally taken a step forward and need some more "nudging"! Thanks for replying!!!

You will need to try different cants and angles to find the one that feels good to you. Generally a cant that has the grip parallel to your waist will feel the best. Also watch yourself in the mirror to see if any unwanted shoulder movement is present. Have fun with the new setup. :cheers:

You will need to try different cants and angles to find the one that feels good to you. Generally a cant that has the grip parallel to your waist will feel the best.

+1

it took me a while to zero in on a setup that felt right. For the CRSpeed, i like to have it just forward of 2:30-3:00 so that i can still crouch/lay down, and when the guns in the holster, my grip is parallel to my beltline. Make sure that, whatever the position, you dont have to make any EXTRA movements to get to the gun. ex: you dont have to rotate your shoulder forward to get a firm grip on the pistol. wherever the gear is, you want the least amout of motion to retrieve the gun/mags.

Edited by little_kahuna

Never had a CR Speed rig or "race holster" and 4 x Versa mag holster and everything I've learned came from a Matt Burkett video. Any tips for a newbie to "race rigs"? For instance, I have the first versa mag holster turned so that my wrist and forearm are in alignment to pull the first mag, second mag, third and forth. However, I have my CR WMSII holster almost 90 degrees to the belt and at about 1:30. Is this right? Also, how far out should the WSMII be from my hip? I added in the 1 inch block as I couldn't get a "full grip" on the pistol holstered.

Not sure what to tweak and I will try to get some range time this weekend, but looking for some pointers in the meantime!

Thanks!

Shifty

I'll qualify all this by saying I'm no expert, I'm only an "M" shooter... also I am a right hand shooter shooting limited and oen division.

I have gone back n forth on this issue several times. Like you, I watched the Burkett videos when I first started out and I had the same type of set up Matt does on his belt. I shot the whole first year like that... I started with a Bianchi holster, then a Limcat holster, then a Kydex holster, then a Ghost holster and finally a CR speed holster. I also switched from the Safariland 773's to the CR speed magazine pouches, but realized I like the 773's better so I went back to that style.

My observations: In my first year of shooting I positioned the first magazine pouch so that it was in the middle of my belly and while it is easy to grab there, it messes me up when I bend down to shoot at something in a low port. I also realized I didn't care for the extra weight directly in front of me.

After the first year, I pushed all the magazines onto my left hip to balance the weight out better. I now have the first magazine canted rearword, and it is just barely ahead of my left hipbone, the 2nd magazine is about an inch back of that and canted back a little less, the 3rd magazine another inch back and that one is straight up and down. This set up works the best for me. I used to wear the holster way foreword on the belt, almost so that it was midway between my right hipbone and my bellybutton. Why did I do this? Because a local shooter was a GM and I thought if he has his that way, I should have mine that way as well. HMMM. I changed this position after the first year of shooting as well. I now have pistol a little foreword of the midpoint of my right leg. It is in a comfortable position so I don't have to think about my hand/arm position while I draw the pistol out with either hands at side or wrists above shoulders.

All of this set up is really so personal, it is hard to give you advice on what you should do. All I can do is tell you what I went thru initially, and have you make your own choices/mistakes along the way. You learn a lot from mistakes.

Good luck!!

With the CRS holster, you are not likely to "pull through" the saddle that surrounds the trigger guard of the gun. Most that run the CRS holster will, therefore, end up with their holster positioned more toward the 3 o'clock on their hip as opposed to the appendix position (maybe a little forward of 3 o'clock).

Many will state that as squaring up to the draw target, and then having the holster positioned so that it is pointed (top strap of slide) at the draw target.

I am with Zewars on the magazine positions. I never got used to a 12 or 11 o'clock position for the first mag. I suppose...with enough dry-fire...but, 10-10:30 worked better for me.

Flex,

That's a funny thing... I dry fire a lot these days and practice reloads from my #1 mag pouch (directly under my belly button) ONLY... yet somehow in a match, I always seem to grab the one next to it. Can't win!

Edited by Seth

With the CRS holster, you are not likely to "pull through" the saddle that surrounds the trigger guard of the gun. Most that run the CRS holster will, therefore, end up with their holster positioned more toward the 3 o'clock on their hip as opposed to the appendix position (maybe a little forward of 3 o'clock).

Many will state that as squaring up to the draw target, and then having the holster positioned so that it is pointed (top strap of slide) at the draw target.

I am with Zewars on the magazine positions. I never got used to a 12 or 11 o'clock position for the first mag. I suppose...with enough dry-fire...but, 10-10:30 worked better for me.

Flex,

Glad to see you and I agree on something...

And it's Zerwas, not Zewars...

Flex,

Well then...it's Flexmoney, not Flex. :roflol:

(sry bout dat...you'd think i could type/spell better.)

What don't we agree on? A 5in Caspian being the best Limited/Standard gun in the Nation/World ? :)

Flex,

Well then...it's Flexmoney, not Flex. :roflol:

(sry bout dat...you'd think i could type/spell better.)

What don't we agree on? A 5in Caspian being the best Limited/Standard gun in the Nation/World ? :)

Ha! Ok then, Flex$$

I'm more of a Glock guy....heehee.

Just pimping ya brother.

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Could some of you guys who shoot competitions post pics of your shooting rigs? I've been in LE for awhile and am thinking of trying to get into IDPA or whatever else is happening in my area. Love to see some of the gear you guys use and see how it's set-up. What kinda prices are you talking for speed holsters and such?

Could some of you guys who shoot competitions post pics of your shooting rigs? I've been in LE for awhile and am thinking of trying to get into IDPA or whatever else is happening in my area. Love to see some of the gear you guys use and see how it's set-up. What kinda prices are you talking for speed holsters and such?

USPSA rig for Open Class:

crspeed001.jpg

P1050962.jpg

I'd recommend checking CPWSA for pricing on the components and to buy from. I've purchased many things from them and have nothing but praise.

http://www.cpwsa.com/CR_Speed.htm

IDPA:

511idparig02.jpg

511idparig01.jpg

Blade Tech

Again, I'd highly recommend going to CPWSA to check out:

http://www.cpwsa.com/bladetech.htm

Edited by Aristotle