Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington R 15 vs DPMS

IndianaSlim

First off I'd like to say hi to everyone, just got reccommended to this sight and the information is overwhelming! I'm somewhat new to AR's (DPMS and S&W, both mostly stock) in general and am finding this sight extremely helpful. Anyway, to the point.

My dad recently asked me about the Remington R 15, a rifle I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with. Long story short he read an article that suggested that they chamber the R 15 in .204. The man has a slight (read major) obsession with this caliber. While it's a fun, flat shooting, low recoiling, coyote dispatching son of a gun I find the .223 MUCH CHEAPER TO SHOOT! I know I'm not going to convince him of buying a .223 so that arguement is absolutely out of the question. Upon further investigation, I found that DPMS offers an AR framed rifle in .204 as well. Does anyone else that you know of make an ar framed .204? If so which one do I steer him toward? I love my dpms, but is the remington better? Is there another one out there that blows both of them away? Cost is an issue though not a big one. This gun is probably going to spend its life in a tractor, a combine or behind the seat of a truck with the sole duty of dispatching varmits. For that reason I don't think a $3000 custom is in order if you know what I mean. It will probably end up with a variable power scope of some sort as his eyes aren't as good as in years past. It won't get cleaned often enough and will get dirty, but it will have to get the job done or he will pawn it off on me (fake frown).

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!

By the way the DPMS i built on their website and the remington were priced almost exactly the same.

It is my understanding that Bushmaster makes the R15 for Remington, and DPMS makes the R25 (308 rifle). Note, all companies owned by the same parent, who also owns Chrysler. :surprise:

Either will work. As a tractor gun, having a dust cover (over the ejection port) sounds like a good idea. Some DPMS rifles do not have this.

Lee

It is my understanding that Bushmaster makes the R15 for Remington, and DPMS makes the R25 (308 rifle). Note, all companies owned by the same parent, who also owns Chrysler. :surprise:

Either will work. As a tractor gun, having a dust cover (over the ejection port) sounds like a good idea. Some DPMS rifles do not have this.

Lee

And GMAC. Cerberus bought up several gun companies, then Chrysler, then GMAC..... and know nothing about any of of those industries. Strange bedfellows.

Edited by sfinney

......................... This gun is probably going to spend its life in a tractor, a combine or behind the seat of a truck with the sole duty of dispatching varmits. ................................. It won't get cleaned often enough and will get dirty, .......................................

considering these condtions an AR type design really might not be a good idea. Unless he has really GOT to have a .204 maybe he should consider an SKS or an AK. they handle the dirt and mistreatment much better.

yankee Dog

......................... This gun is probably going to spend its life in a tractor, a combine or behind the seat of a truck with the sole duty of dispatching varmits. ................................. It won't get cleaned often enough and will get dirty, .......................................

considering these condtions an AR type design really might not be a good idea. Unless he has really GOT to have a .204 maybe he should consider an SKS or an AK. they handle the dirt and mistreatment much better.

yankee Dog

Eh, he's got 3 sks's, a mini 14 etc etc. He's pretty well dead set on a 204......

This gun is probably going to spend its life in a tractor, a combine or behind the seat of a truck with the sole duty of dispatching varmits

Someone will come up with a slip cover, scabbard, etc., so you can increase the black rifle population. If you figure it out, let us know - so I have a better excuse for an anti-feral-hog upper to carry on my mesquite eradication efforts ("Tractor...check. Shredder....check. Rifle....honey, I need a new rifle.") :devil:

And GMAC. Cerberus bought up several gun companies, then Chrysler, then GMAC..... and know nothing about any of of those industries. Strange bedfellows.

Cerberus just wanted Chrysler's financial arm but had to buy the whole company to get it.

Lee

I have seen and shot the R-15. The one I shot was stock out of the box. The trigger was superb the and the gun was accurate. If they made it available in black instead of that ugly camo it would be a nice rifle factory stock. I just can't get past the camo.

I carry an AR pistol in the tractor, combine, and pickup almost always. Several coyotes, skunks, dillo's and badgers have been dispatched with this setup. Most equipment now have very nice cabs, AC filtered air, tight seals so dust is not a problem.

I've got a friend that wants a .204 AR, have tried to discourage him but not sure if he see's the light yet. Load up some 40 gr. ballistic tips and let him try those, might help convince him the .223 is the way to go.