Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Winter Match - seemed like lots of DQs

jhe888

as a fellow revolver shooter, how many of the revo DQ's were for having no hammer block? Or did the SO's/tech inspectors even know to see if they were in? If they didn't even bother, then maybe they should reinstate all the DQ's from the other divisions, as you had a whole group of shooters with unsafe firearms on the range.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a fellow revolver shooter, how many of the revo DQ's were for having no hammer block? Or did the SO's/tech inspectors even know to see if they were in? If they didn't even bother, then maybe they should reinstate all the DQ's from the other divisions, as you had a whole group of shooters with unsafe firearms on the range.

Thats an interesting perspective.I understand the match director is somewhat familar with smith and wesson revolvers.actually the entire equiptment check range was a walk-in computer tomography unit all the hammer blocks were in place but there were a few clipped rebound springs.The were monitoring it from the Death Star.

If the match director was so familar with S&W revolvers, then he should know that all he has to do is pull the hammer back and look to see if the hammer block was is place, it's the little floppy thing between the hammer and frame. and not need and fancy equipment. My point being that if the tech inspection were not done properly, then the 2 DQ's for gip safeties should propably be overturned.

The competators should have been told during the sign in, that all the safeties were going to be checked. On a side note of this, my 625 mountain gun that I do use for carry and shooting IDPA, does have the hammer block installed, as I would hate to have a savy lawyer come after me if I ever did have to use it.

If the match director was so familar with S&W revolvers, then he should know that all he has to do is pull the hammer back and look to see if the hammer block was is place, it's the little floppy thing between the hammer and frame. and not need and fancy equipment. My point being that if the tech inspection were not done properly, then the 2 DQ's for gip safeties should propably be overturned.

The competators should have been told during the sign in, that all the safeties were going to be checked. On a side note of this, my 625 mountain gun that I do use for carry and shooting IDPA, does have the hammer block installed, as I would hate to have a savy lawyer come after me if I ever did have to use it.

John; the Match Director is a Master Class Revo shooter. Nuf said. One of the Techs is also a revo shooter.......nuf said.

You are correct John - that's one way to check.

Sometimes I check little floppy things by holding it firmly in my strong hand, shaking it up and down by my good ear and listening for a little jiggle - that way I don't have to cock it to check. I have to admit that the older I get though, the less jiggle I can detect (in the gun - uhm..... revolver - that is).

The 625 Mountain gun is certainly a fine revolver, I've got one myself. Enjoy.

Hope to see you - and your little floppy thing - at an IDPA match soon,

Craig

Edited by Bones

My point being that if the tech inspection were not done properly, then the 2 DQ's for gip safeties should propably be overturned.

Not really sure I understand the logic: if someone possibly didn't get caught for doing something illegal, everyone else who did get caught for doing something illegal should be allowed to get away with it?

You are correct John - that's one way to check.

Sometimes I check little floppy things by holding it firmly in my strong hand, shaking it up and down by my good ear and listening for a little jiggle - that way I don't have to cock it to check. I have to admit that the older I get though, the less jiggle I can detect (in the gun - uhm..... revolver - that is).

The 625 Mountain gun is certainly a fine revolver, I've got one myself. Enjoy.

Hope to see you - and your little floppy thing - at an IDPA match soon,

Craig

what about the revolvers that have been converted to DA only, that block is removed and if you've replaced your stock hammer with an APEX hammer, it is also removed, there is no room for it?

michael sousa - and yes I was there with a gun that was da only and an apex hammer...

If my match is correct we set a 21st century IDPA and USPSA National Match revolver participation record - 49. Most ICORE Regionals struggle to get that many.

Thanks to you Michael, and all of our SSR and ESR community for supporting us. I'm glad you were part of it and we hope you enjoyed the match - even the revolver tac loads. ;)

We did the best equipment check we could with the time and resources we had (~3 min/shooter). Did we check everything on all guns - No, but all ammo was chrono'd, all bullets pulled, all guns weighed and dimensionally checked - all without disrupting match flow. Did we find all possible inconsistencies with the rulebook - No, but I think the equipment team did an outstanding job - it was the smoothest running operation, had the toughest assignment and the team that got the least credit.

Craig

Edited by Bones

Regardless of what anyone else says it is refreshing that a major match finally enforced the rulebook to the best of their abilities. I have been to matches where the gun was weighed, I have been to matches where it was put in the box but I have never had the safety mechanisms checked on the gun and I certainly have never had all three done in conjunction with being chrono'd. That includes two Nationals, the Carolina Cup and a dozen or so other major matches. By the looks of it there are a number of shooters who weren't expecting you to do it. I think in the long run it is healthy for the sport. Good for you.

Pete

Regardless of what anyone else says it is refreshing that a major match finally enforced the rulebook to the best of their abilities. I have been to matches where the gun was weighed, I have been to matches where it was put in the box but I have never had the safety mechanisms checked on the gun and I certainly have never had all three done in conjunction with being chrono'd. That includes two Nationals, the Carolina Cup and a dozen or so other major matches. By the looks of it there are a number of shooters who weren't expecting you to do it. I think in the long run it is healthy for the sport. Good for you.

Pete

I think all the equipment checks were done in a fair and consistent manner. As I have said many times before, in my area of the country, the S&W league set the standard in running an IDPA match when we were starting out with our own programs in Upstate NY. That is still the way it is in my mind. And how about the challenge coin, what a classy gesture.

Dennis

"Challenge coin"?

OMG......I hope someone can post pictures cuz they are be u ti ful. I have already framed mine on the wall....since i did not collect wood from the absolutely most fun match i have ever worked.

JMO

YMMV

OMG......I hope someone can post pictures cuz they are be u ti ful. I have already framed mine on the wall....since i did not collect wood from the absolutely most fun match i have ever worked.

JMO

YMMV

You made a wish?

Coin.jpg

"Challenge coin"?

Are they not just the "nuts" Duane? Craig and his staff did a great job and his dedication is appreciated. I have talke do many people and they were as jazzed about the match as I was. This challenge coin was a real classy thing to do, sort of like fraternal to all of us who shot the match.

Peace be with you.......

Dennis

S&W has a history, in my experience, of handing out classy stuff. Back in the early '90s, when I was just a young puppy gunwriter, then sent me a blue enameled Smith & Wesson coffee cup I still have today. Nice as that was, it paled in comparison to the nylon Smith & Wesson shooting bag with my name on it that they sent me next year. And yes, I still have that one, too. :)

I use my S&W coin from the 2008 "1st Inaugural Match" as my card protector when playing Holdem. It draws attention from many while playing. This gives me the advantage of then taking their money :D

S&W puts on great matches, been there twice, '07 and '08. Couldn't make it this year, unfortunately.

Craig, I really like this years design. You have any extras for sale?

I use my S&W coin from the 2008 "1st Inaugural Match" as my card protector when playing Holdem. It draws attention from many while playing. This gives me the advantage of then taking their money :D

S&W puts on great matches, been there twice, '07 and '08. Couldn't make it this year, unfortunately.

Craig, I really like this years design. You have any extras for sale?

I don't think so.

Contact the S&W Shooting Sports Center Retail Store at 413 846 6400 to confirm.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...
They are plastic lens.

The only reason I know what I'm about to say is that I recently did the research for an article on military protective eyewear. The problem with plastic lenses, from a using-them-as-shooting-glasses standpoint, is that if you hit them hard enough they'll shatter, just like glass. The polycarbonate used in quality, shooting-specific protective eyewear won't.

Duane,

I used to work for GE Plastics, the company that invented polycarbonate (Lexan). It will shatter given enough of an impact and depending on the temperature. There are many different formulations of polycarbonate designed for things like impact resistance, UV resistance, optical quality etc. We had a large window in our office that had .45 ACP slugs in it. This "bullet proof" glass was actually 3 layers of 1/2" polycarbonate laminated together with a plastic sheet of some kind between the layers. This is like your car windshield where 2 pieces of glass are laminated with plastic in the middle to keep the shards of glass from flying around during an accident.

Chances are very good that the lenses in T Bacus' picture above are polycarbonate. I'm not saying all shooting glasses are the same, e.g. one vendor could trade impact resistance for optical quality etc...

-Capel