Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

setting Hornady crimp die

Jeffdg

hello - I'm reloading a .40 S&W with a Hornady LNL reloader and their super duper "we're awesome you'll never need another" Hornady die set. I'm using Montana Gold 180 gr FMJ bullets. My current load OAL = 1.160". The cool part is I haven't had a jam in 3000 rounds of my reloads (Witness Limited w/18 rounds mags...), unfortunately, though, the best crimp I could get (and it's mediocre) when the die is just about touching the shell plate when the arm is pulled all the way down. But it worked so on I went.

Recently, I bought four 21 round mags from Henning and then full case resizer, which, as stock, gets the shell around .423" external diameter at its widest point. Tonight I loaded about 30 full-length sized shells after resizing them (I just got it the Gizmo today)... oddly enough three of my rounds (10%) had crimps so loose I could push the bullet into the shell. Not good!

First, I'm not sure why this would change my crimp (I've made no adjustments to this) - they were fairly robust before.

Second, I'm unsure how to improve my crimps with the Hornady die... am I missing something? The instructions that came with the die set wasn't terribly descriptive; I have a feeling I'm missing something rather simple.

Thanks for the help!

-Jeff

Jeff that sounds strange to me. my progressive presses are Dillon and all my seating dies are Hornady. I don't have an issue. some of my crimp dies are Dillon some are Hornady , in my 40 its a Hornady crimp die and it is labeled as 10mm and it is still off the plate.

I would pop that dies out and see how far a sized piece of brass will go in with out the bullet, and try some factory loaded rounds too.

Your problem is most likely with the new sizer rather than the crimper; sized cases should retain the bullet even without a crimp. You shouldn't be able to move a seated bullet with your fingers under any circumstances.

Jeff, I have had similar issues wth a set of Redding dies(40-10mm), and I tend to agree with Ronemus on this. I went so far as to grind my shell holder on my single stage press to see if made a difference. I have noticed one thing in my situation, the nickel plated brass seems to spring back more, as I have had no issues with regular brass. I have been culling the brass that does not "feel right" when I expand the case mouth, but that does not solve your problems on a progressive press. I don't know if my sizer is oversize, or if Speer nickel plated brass is the problem. I'm thinking about a EGW U-die.

Your problem is most likely with the new sizer rather than the crimper; sized cases should retain the bullet even without a crimp. You shouldn't be able to move a seated bullet with your fingers under any circumstances.

do you think the expander is out of adjustment then? The full case resizer is a standalone process since the case has to pass through the entire device. After the case is fully resized, I then put each case through all the standard dies, including the resizer (as it doubles as a decapper), expander...etc.

Size a few pieces of brass then seat bullets skipping the expander and taper crimp stages. That should identify if it isn't being sized enough or the mouth is being expanded too much.

One other possibility is you've recently started using different brass with thinner case walls. I ran into that on 9mm using a hornady sizer. It was only one brand of brass that caused the issue, but I switched to a U-die sizer. The extra sizing solved the problem and I avoided having to sort cases by headstamp.

Edited by 1911user

I had the same problem with my Hornady dies. I also had issues with bullet setback. After a bunch of trial and error, I got a U sizer from EGW. My problem was solved. I use very little crimp anyway so crimping really wasn't my issue. The "U" die is definitely worth the few bucks.