Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What the...?

Mark Bellon

Last week I was shooting the centers out of targets at 7 and 10 yards. This week I lucky if I can hit anywhere near the center of the target.

Often I can see my problem and correct it. I didn't see anything wrong at the range. My 9 mm is better than the .45. The .45 is way off. I'm sudden shooting very nice groups that are 3 inches low and 1 inch to the right.

In the last two weeks I've been working up a 9 mm load (I'm new to reloading), started using Slide Glide consistently, doing a lot of holster dryfire drills (for the first time really) and I'm getting used to a new pair of glasses. The glasses don't seem to be an issue since I did fine last week.

I also do some grip strength work with GripMasters and in the last few weeks I started switching from the 9 pound to the 11 pound.

I was making great progress and then this started. Has this happened to others? I know (temporary) setbacks in training are "normal" but this one really surprised me.

Got to figure out what's wrong and fix it,

mark

Look at all the "variables" you just changed.........pretty much all at once, too.

New glasses

More dryfiring

Doing a harder grip thingy

Maybe switching back and forth between guns (9 and 45?)

Taken individually, not a big deal. All those changes at once could multiply.

Give it a week, don't overanalyze ("analysis paralysis") and then what settles down/shakes out.

Three inches low/one right at 7 yds? That's huge......consider equipment problems.

Three inches low/one right at 50 yds? Not a big deal.

FY42385

I recommend drowning in brass at the range. Do more live fire than dry fire for a while, until you work these issues out. Live fire is where you find issues in your techniques, figure out corrections, and then go home and ingrain the fix with dryfire. Right now you're doing something bad, and dryfire will just make it that much more of a habit.

Example: Say the current problem turns out to be excessive pressure with the strong hand. Playing around at the range is where you figure that out - more pressure with the weak hand, and the shots are dead center. NOW you can go home and work on drawing the gun hundreds of times with more weak-hand pressure. Until then, you're just doing repetitions of what you already know isn't working.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Sounds like you may have developed a pre-ignition push. I.e. trying to anticipate the re-coil. have a friend load your mag mixing in a dummy round, this will help diagnose you problem. If you pull the trigger on the dummy round and your gun dips forward you know what your problem is.

If you can truly call a shot then I would say something is wrong or has changed, if you can't call a shot with good accuracy the ball and dummy drills will help a lot. If you don't shoot with a buddy you can do it yourself by loading several mags with ball and dummy rounds, just put them in a box or a bag and mix them up so you don't know which is which and shoot. I have come to believe that a little push on firing isn't bad, but you BETTER have it tuned to perfection if you bring it to a match, otherwise anticipation of recoil is bad.

<_< If you can set up a video camera that can help , the other advice is great. My first thought was that you are underchallengeing your self. And what does the gun do off a rest ? have you shot with Just your wrist set on the bags too? that makes a good isolation and that is how I site my gun in when I change the scope, I want the gun to recoil in my wrist the same as when I am standing.

7&10 yards can not hold my attention very long. In fact I don't even care what my gun and loads will shot at 7 yards I am looking out at 25 & 35 yards.

Try challenging your shelf more and see if your groups don't stay the same size with twice the distance or even get better.

Thanks for advise!

I have been doing a huge amount of dry fire and much less range shooting than normal and I do use "ball and dummy" - but not recently. I'm a fairly new shooter and I have recently - less than a month - really turned up the training.

I'm setting up a session with an experienced friend and we'll drill this under a watchfull eye until I get it fixed.

Thanks again!