Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 and crushed primers

Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a solution?  My Dillon 650 seems to crush about 7% - 10% of the rounds I load.  It happens with both large and small primers.  The primers seem to be turning sideways in the primer tray and then are crushed when the primer rod tries to seat them in the brass.  I have taken the press apart and cannot seem to find the problem or a solution.  Anyone have an ideas?

Check the spring activated arm that holds the brass firmly in the primer station.  Mine was missing the bushing/washer where the screw holds it to the press.  

Also, the the ramp that activates the arm that advances the primer disc...it can get a bit out of alignment.  Take it off and reseat it.

Check the spring loaded ram that seats the primer.  It screws in from the bottom.   Twix was having the same problem and we found that the assembly was loose and backing out allowing the primers to drop down a little and twisting instead of staying flat.  Just tighten the ram up and maybe lock-tite it.  Dillon does suggest to remove it periodically to clean so don't use a permanet locking product.

Also the spring arm Flex is talking about is adjustable.  If you take it apart you will find an allen screw under it to adjust the amount of 'rocking' action you want it to have.  Mine works best with just enough movement to take a shell out of station two but still be pushing the shell into the plate.

According to the Dillon manual (now downloadable from Dillon's website) the arm that holds the case in position at the priming station (station 2) should be adjusted to allow a business card to slip between the case and the arm.  I discovered the hard way that it's best to read the instructions and follow them to the letter when setting up the press ----- otherwise bad things happen!  

The other thing I noticed about primers on the 650 is that if there's loose powder spilled on the primer punch, the press will try to make that powder part of the primer.  It actually dimples the primer face slightly.  Good Luck.  

Thanks for the info.  I noticed I did have a fair amount of play in the swing arm on the primer system.  Everything else looked OK.  I hope this will solve the problem.  Thank you to all that provided information

usmral,

Glad you've ironed it out.

On a similar subject - Does anyone have any experience with first loading on a 650, or any other Dillon for that matter, without the Strong Mount, and then switching over to it? I'm thinking, with the big-time increased footprint provided by the Strong Mount, the machine may be less prone to spill powder and flip primers sideways. ?

be

I helped set up and start loading on Twix's 650 with strong mount.  Although I've only loaded a thousand or so on the machine I can say that it's pretty sturdy.  The bench is well made and I believe that has alot to do with it.

I put my own 650 without strong mounts on an even stronger bench and have close to 10,000 rds. loaded so far.  I haven't noticed any more/different movement during handle cycling.  

We both use a crimping die that bogs the press down considerably,  but with consistant even strokes I don't think either of us have had a powder throwing problem.  Twix was having a primer flipping problem but it wasn't the mounting method.  I had a major primer feed break down recently but it was related to the cast bullets I was using being bee's wax lubed.  After a good cleaning( or three ) all is well again!!!  Bee's wax is baaad.  

I set my 650 up on a strong mount on a dillon bench thats loaded down with 200 lbs. of bullets on the bottom shelf.  I was getting a fair amount of powder spillage ----- but I'm loading 9mm cases with 5.3 of W231, which probably fills the case to the 2/3-3/4 level --- until I moved the seating die to position three.  It's slightly more awkward to place the bullet on, but compared to my old SDB I still have gobs more room.  And powder spillage is a thing of the past.  Now the only problem is refilling the primer magazine every 100 rounds and remembering to empty the done bin every 200 at least.  

I load for me and two shooting buddies, so I load more than the average person. about 2000-3000 a month...

my 650 is bolted down to a very sturdy bench, the press remain absolutly still while reloading.

when I first got the press I did have the crushed primer thing going on but a quick adjustment to the finger that holds the case in the shell plate at the priming station, solved the problem.

as far as spilling powder, when I first got the press I was spilling powder on a regular basis, I was trying to go too fast.  Now I don't spill any powder....smooth is fast applies here also...

Brian I will be calling you pretty soon I need a conversion, I'm getting my limited gun together...

Bob