Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need magwell, which one?

steveyacht

Shot my first USPSA Match yesterday, while I didn't finish last, I am sure I could have done a bit better, particularly in the reload department. I am thinking I will add a Magwell in order to facilitate faster reloads.... I love the Dawson Magwell, but according to the web site and catalogue, they require the use of Dawson's extended base pads also. Being as I am in Limited !0, I prefer not to spend the additional money on the base pads. I am thinking about the S&A model, but that requires some modification to the frame. Are there any other models that will work? (posted on classifieds looking for used one also)

Thanks

Steve

Edited by steveyacht

Shot my first USPSA Match yesterday, while I didn't finish last, I am sure I could have done a bit better, particularly in the reload department. I am thinking I will add a Magwell in order to facilitate faster reloads.... I love the Dawson Magwell, but according to the web site and catalogue, they require the use of Dawson's extended base pads also. Being as I am in Limited !0, I prefer not to spend the additional money on the base pads. I am thinking about the S&A model, but that requires some modification to the frame. Are there any other models that will work? (posted on classifieds looking for used one also)

Thanks

Steve

What gun?

I think you have a Para 14/45. Your better off with the Dawson and Dawson. Pads. It's just a better funnel. I switched from a Dawson to S&A and your correct there is no going back. I switched on the misguided assumption that the S&A would be IDPA box legal. The S&A does allow normal mags and fits the 2 dimensional box but I just found out it's a little too thick for the lid to close. Cutting the frame is also not for the faint of heart. With all that I dont see the S&A offering any practical advantage over the Dawson. I also believe the S&A is much more expensive which would cover the cost of at least one Dawson pad.

I think you have a Para 14/45. Your better off with the Dawson and Dawson. Pads. It's just a better funnel. I switched from a Dawson to S&A and your correct there is no going back. I switched on the misguided assumption that the S&A would be IDPA box legal. The S&A does allow normal mags and fits the 2 dimensional box but I just found out it's a little too thick for the lid to close. Cutting the frame is also not for the faint of heart. With all that I dont see the S&A offering any practical advantage over the Dawson. I also believe the S&A is much more expensive which would cover the cost of at least one Dawson pad.

u

Well DUH, I forgot to mention I have a Para P14..... the Dawson pads are about 30 bucks apiece, x 5 and that is an eaasy 150 bucks that I could spend on ammo. I was hoping there would be a reasonable alternative.

THe EGW is like the old Ed brown, It could even be the same one. Ive got one I'll send you for free if you want it. You'll have to drill and tap a MSH. But the funnel is basically worthless. It's so shallow it doesnt do much. And I was never abole to find magpads the worked properly with it. Trust me any money you spend on something other than Dawson funnel / pads or getting a S&A installed is wasted money. The S&A doesnt offer much advantage. 150 bucks in this game is a drop in the bucket. But if I was in your position. I would just run it without a funnel and buy one mag pad a month or so till you got 5 or 6 or keep your eyes open on the classifieds. Then get the funnel.

You didn't say which generation Para mags you have. The latest should work with the full S&A or they also make a mainspring housing with just an extension on the bottom to help guide the mag in. Any gen mag would probably work with that one.

FWIW

Richard

PS: I have 2 Para p14's but they have custom magwells.