Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are the SureFire "combat rings" legal in IDPA?

Drachen27

The Combat Rings fit the Surefire flashlights and come in a set of three. One has a ring, one has a little hook. Seeems like a good way to hold onto your flashlight, but I'm not sure how they'd be viewed by the rules.

Anyone know for sure?

The Combat Rings fit the Surefire flashlights and come in a set of three. One has a ring, one has a little hook. Seeems like a good way to hold onto your flashlight, but I'm not sure how they'd be viewed by the rules.

Anyone know for sure?

Flashlight rules are pretty much up to the MD. There isn't very much about flashlights in the 2005 rulebook. Only gun mounted lights are prohibited.

At our club we follow the no gun mounted lights but otherwise do not control the flashlight at all. But it must start in a waist level pouch or pocket at the beep. This pretty much levels the playing field for all the gadgets.

kr

Edited by freeidaho

Flashlight rules are pretty much up to the MD.

Exactly!!

If a Match Director decides that you aren't abiding by the "spirit" of IDPA, you will have problems. Just get a hand held flashlight with an instant on/off switch and you'll be fine.

Get the Surefire G2Z with the rubber grip ring. It's the best handheld tactical flashlight out there IMO and it will always be allowed in dark stage matches.

By the way, the IDPA sanctioned matches (usually indoor matches) that have dark stages DO NOT PROVIDE A FLASHLIGHT FOR CONSISTENCY'S SAKE. You have to bring your own. I've never heard of one being turned away. Even the Liberator which is a seriously good, but expensive option for the true tactician and gamer has been deemed legal for the S&W Indoor National Championship http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=870708

Edited by Steve J

Our club shoots indoor and runs a lot of dark stages, We almost always start flashlight in hand for saftey reasons. Draw both pistol and light same time when it's dark is hard for the SO to monitor.

Any hand held light is ok with the club. Some guys use a big mag lite and the Marine corps method. Personaly I like the click on switch on a Surefire, If I have to re-load during a stage just put the light under my strong side armpit & pull it back out when done. It says on during the reload.

Boats

Edited by Boats

"Even the Liberator which is a seriously good, but expensive option for the true tactician and gamer"

At first I too thought the Liberator would be a gamer flashlight, but I got one. After working with it for a while I am convinced it is a very useful tactical flashlight for real world use. Being able to use a free hand, if necessary, is a great ability in the dark.

After reading this post thought I might have been missing something, went out and bought a package of Surefire rings. They work pretty good, you can keep the light on your index finger while changing mags. Fip it up and down for either neck indexed flashlight strong hand only pistol or two hand pistol and light married hold.

Only thing I find is my left hand does not want to get high on the pistol with the flashlight on the ring. Am shooting some groups normal two hand and with the Surefire light and ring daylight on a bulls eye target to see if it makes a difference accucary wise.

Boats

I picked up a hat mounted light a few monthes back and have to admit that I've found it very useful for many things. I'll use it for night hikes and camping. I messed around in the dark and am impressed at the visability it gives the pistol sights and nearby objects. For sure I've started to use it for night time dog walks and putzing around outside the house.

Of course, it frees up your hands.

If it had to start in your pocket or even in your hands I don't know how fast I could clip it, it might take too much time for a short stage. But I'd be tempted on longer, more complex dark stages.

I'd be curious about MD's stance on them.

Never thought about hat mounted for IDPA. I fish at night a lot and never go without one Usualy keep it on a neck lanyard dropped inside my shirt front. It does not take long to get one going. Some Surefires have a hat clip. Might try one in a match & see what happens.

If the match does have have specific rules anything goes. Last one guy had a big maglite in his back pocket. Buzzer goes off he clicks it on and lays it on top of the barrel to light up the targets. Shot normal two handed hold never held the light at all.

Boats

Edited by Boats