Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 caliber (.357) bullets out of a 9mm?

TFin04

I'm assuming this will be a really stupid question, and one that people will either scorn me for or say "of course, dumbass!"

I have a lot of 38 bullets (sized to .357) that I don't see myself using. Like everyone else, I'm always short on 9mm bullets to load with. I shoot a lot of .356 bullets out of my Glocks with great results.

Can I load the .357 bullets and fire them safely? I have stock Glock and Lone Wolf barrels available. If it's going to create unsafe pressures I'll just sell em and buy 9mm bullets, but it'd be a lot easier to load them.

Might actually be do-able. I thought I had read about some expiraments in the 60s or 70s (using rifles) where they found that oversized bullets did not have as much effect on raising pressure as logic would suggest.

A concern might be that they are so large that they do not properly seat in the chamber - which could leave the gun slightly out of battery. But a pass through the Lee FCD could cure that.

I might try it.

You will need to run them through the Lee FCD so they will chamber, but they shoulld shoot fine. I run mine through a tight Schumann match chamber.....

YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-WORK up the load as you will have increased pressure, but you may find that they shoot much more accurately......hint hint....

I wouldnt suggest a high PF with them either.

I bought a buttload of 148-158gr bullets sized .357-.358, loaded them to a length my 9s would chamber and hold in the magazine with a low charge of Titegroup, and had lots o cheap steel loads for practice....about 130ish is as high as I will do with this combo and Titegroup, but see what happens....

Good luck with your project..... :cheers:

I have to disagree with Doug on this one. My preferred diameter for 9x19 is .357". It runs happily in all my 9x19s - SIG, Beretta, CZ and S&W, all with factory barrels. With a factory barrel, you shouldn't have any problems...and you'll have less leading as well.

One thing you do need to do is carefully set the seating depth to ensure easy chambering, and change (usually decrease) the powder charge to keep the velocities where you want them. If you have to seat the bullets too deeply, you may run into a problem with the bullet base pushing out the brass where the case thickens at the web. If this happens, you're SOL; keep those bullets for the .38 and buy some made for bottomfeeders.

Chuck, I wholeheartedly agree with your post as well! Only problem is that all the books, manuals, etc. state lead bullets are .356, so what we are typing is heresy..... :roflol:

I just wanted everyone to know that they need to make sure they will chamber and be careful of possibly pressure issues from seating a heavier bullet deeper in the case, as you stated very well... :cheers:

DougC

Good info guys, I appreciate it. I have a Lee FCD and my 39spl loads "chambered" fine when testing them in the Glock barrel. I know it's not scientific, but it seems like it should work well. I'll start slow and see what I come up with.

Got to shoot em tonight. I've been running 124gr Berry's plated 9mm (.356) under 4.0 grains of Titegroup for a while.

I just shot some 125gr .357 Berry's plated over 3.5 grains and they shoot like a laser beam. You guys might be on to something...didn't have a chance to chrono but they shot great.

I crimped some and didn't crimp others. They alll ran great in two stock Glock barrels and one Lone Wolf barrel with a really tight chamber. I like these!

I'd like to try some .357 hardcast to see if I can get reduced smoke out of the load....the saga continues.

I'd like to try some .357 hardcast to see if I can get reduced smoke out of the load....the saga continues.

It won't reduce the smoke - that's a function of the lube and lead vaporizing, and is influenced more by powder choice - but it'll probably reduce leading, and may well improve accuracy.

Extremely pleased to learn that you did not: "git blowed' up!" (as I am sure many had feared).

Thanks for the after-action report.

Got to shoot em tonight. I've been running 124gr Berry's plated 9mm (.356) under 4.0 grains of Titegroup for a while.

I just shot some 125gr .357 Berry's plated over 3.5 grains and they shoot like a laser beam. You guys might be on to something...didn't have a chance to chrono but they shot great.

I crimped some and didn't crimp others. They alll ran great in two stock Glock barrels and one Lone Wolf barrel with a really tight chamber. I like these!

• 2 months later...

Very pleased to see this post as I have about 6k MG 142gn .357. Been shooting them over 3.1 of Tightgroup @ 1.100. Pretty darn accurate. Been wondering...I also have about 5k 200gn .358 that I shot out of my 686 in IDPA last year. The 142 are jacketed. These (200gn) are lead.

.358 is too big right?

200gn is too heavy, right?

Does anyone make a 9mm bullet that heavy?

What do you guys think?

Thanks so much,

Rick

Rick - .358 isn't too big; I shot a bunch of 147s that size through my Beretta 92 with no problems. The 200 grain part might be kinda difficult to make work due to the bullet length...and you'd be in uncharted territory for powder charge. If you can get them going about the same velocity as you used them at in your 686, they would work. I really doubt you could make them fit, though.

ETA: If you want to sell a few of those 200 grainers, PM me.

Edited by revchuck

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a dilemna related to this. I am loading Berry's plated 125 gr .357 hollow point in my .357 SIG. It is a tack driver at 1225fps. I would like to load this bullet for 9mm also. In order to headspace in my SIG 226 Barsto, I have to seat the bullet to an OAL of 1.000 . This seems terribly short to me. I would like to load these over 9 grains of AA #9. With such a short OAL, am I going to have over pressure to the point of danger?

I have a dilemna related to this. I am loading Berry's plated 125 gr .357 hollow point in my .357 SIG. It is a tack driver at 1225fps. I would like to load this bullet for 9mm also. In order to headspace in my SIG 226 Barsto, I have to seat the bullet to an OAL of 1.000 . This seems terribly short to me. I would like to load these over 9 grains of AA #9. With such a short OAL, am I going to have over pressure to the point of danger?

Doesn't look like there's any data from Accurate on #9 so you'll be playing without a net unless a bullet manufacturer has published something on similar combos (maybe Lyman since plated and lead run nearly identical pressures). Is there any specific reason why you picked 9gr of #9?

:D on the Old Beatles fan.... it just hit me, 9 grains of #9 in 9 mm. Now, where did I put that old "White Album" and my turntable?

Actually, I realize a slow burner like this would not be the optimum choice, was simply trying to get away with a single bullet, single powder for 9mm and .357 SIG. Primary use would be for steel and paper in 3 Gun. The only load data I have been able to find is on Pete's .357 SIG page here (also where I got the idea). http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pet...m/rel.9.no9.htm . It is a compressed load. I am afraid that coupled with the tight chamber of the Barsto threaded barrel in my SIG 226 Elite is going to make this a hand grenade. I may work up a couple, but will also work up some with HP 38. If not doable, then I will most likely go with another powder.

OK... scratch the use of #9 in 9mm... it is simply too compressed. I am distorting the .357 plated bullets when seating. I will work up a few with HP 38 starting at 3.8 grains and work my way up slowly.

One thing I like about reloading, is the experimentation.... at least that sounds good, right ? LOL

Edited by n5esrx

I have found using .357" bullets in 9mm is that all but one of my handguns preffered lead (Polymer Coated or Traditionally Lubed), they just worked better than plated and or Jacketed.

One thing I did find that I got better accuracy was to NOT use the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

My experiments came about when I got my first Glock (along with about 5 other guys from the club) and it shot like crap with the two local made 125gr bullets. We just got horendous leading. I just could not afford to shoot JHP back then, and we had good success with the local bullets in everything except teh Glocks. Someone suggested going to a heavier bullet and the heaviest I had was a 158gr RN .357" that we used for Service Pistol. So we just lowered the load and cranked them in. Accuracy was way better but we were having issues with flyers so just tried everything we could think of.

Good clean brass to start. Sized properly. I used a std Dillon 9mm powder funnel / expander. But ensured that we had absolutely the minimum flare that allowed proper entry of the projectile into the case, then straightened the case mouth up with barely a hint of crimp either using the Dillon Taper crimp or the Redding profile crimp die. Over the chrono we got a little more extreeme spread than ideal, but accuracy was still very good.

Tested in the following. Old CZ75, Browning High Powers, Para P18-9, various Glocks, S&W 459, Old Tanfoglio TZ75, Ruger P85, S&W 4506 & Ruger PC9 Carbine, more recently STI GP6, S&W M&P, Tanfoglio Limited, Glock17 third gen, Waltehr P99, H&K, CZ 85 and SP-01 etc. All the old guns gave good enough accuracy with the oversized projectiles, and all except the old CZ75 worked better with .357" Lead than .357" JHP. The old CZ had a well oversize bore and we used .358" Lead and .357" JHP. It still worked best with JHP than anything, and definetly the 125gr. The .357" lead was awful. The newer guns gave better accuracy with correct (.356") projectiles.

We started very low as we were doing two things that could adversly effect pressure. 1, oversize bullets 2, very heavy bullets by normal 9mm standards of the day. Everybody here was using 115gr or 125gr lead back then. More recently of course everybody has tried 145-147gr in the 9mm. But now they all are using good handguns with well made barrels, so the 125gr would be about the best alrounder down here.

This is great!

I was thinking of ordering some Rainier plated .357" 140 grain flat points as an all purpose bullet for .357 magnum, .38 Super and maybe 9mm. Time to experiment.

The 130 grain, .356" plated round nose work great in 9mm (Glock 17L), but show gas blow by (soot in the barrel) in my .357 mag.

FWIW, I load my plated and jacketed bullets with just two dies, sizing and competition seater. No flair, no crimp and I no longer use the FCD. I get better accuracy, and the brass gets worked less.

Also bullet tension is increased by not using flair. I used to have to crimp my Super loads when I flared the case mouths to prevent bullet set back. Not flaring seems to give a natural tension.

• 3 weeks later...

Many 9mm pistols have .357/.358" bores. US made 9mm tend to have tight bores. European guns tend to have loose bores in my personal experience. I recently slugged my P210. It measured .357". Prior, I had assume it had a .355" bore. Boy was I wrong! Although it is extremely accurate with 147gr .355" jacketed bullets. I read about a fellow who slugged a P38. It measured .358". My Berettas had .357" bores. I shot .358" 125gr lead TC through them @ 1.050" OAL without any problems. In fact, 3.9grs of 231 gave me 890 FPS, which contradicts every loading manual out there. Best of all, they outshot every load I had developed for them.

I've been handloading the 9mm for 15 years using the wrong bullets!

Many 9mm pistols have .357/.358" bores. US made 9mm tend to have tight bores. European guns tend to have loose bores in my personal experience. I recently slugged my P210. It measured .357". Prior, I had assume it had a .355" bore. Boy was I wrong! Although it is extremely accurate with 147gr .355" jacketed bullets. I read about a fellow who slugged a P38. It measured .358". My Berettas had .357" bores. I shot .358" 125gr lead TC through them @ 1.050" OAL without any problems. In fact, 3.9grs of 231 gave me 890 FPS, which contradicts every loading manual out there. Best of all, they outshot every load I had developed for them.

I've been handloading the 9mm for 15 years using the wrong bullets!

Well... I gave this a try and it has worked great in all my SIGs to include my 226 Elite with a Barsto Conversion Barrel. I find it to have the tightest chamber. I have also load up a number of the Berrys .357 plated 125 gr hollowpoints for my .357 SIGs . Worked out to be some very accurate loads.

I will be sticking to .357 diameter bullets for all my 9mm and .357 range loads.