Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Bend Ranch State Park

Catfish

I mentioned earlier in a hate about the terrible beginning to my annual Big Bend pilgrimage... well, fortunately for all involved, it got a LOT better once we rid ourselves of the early interlopers.

2nd day involved a challenging hike up the Lost Mine Trail - nearly 5 mile round trip; with the outgoing portion being pretty much all uphill. Gradual climb the first mile and then one switchback after another for the last mile or so. Hard climb, but the views were definately worth the effort! Lunch at the top and then a nice walk back to the trail head.

That afternoon, set up camp at a place called Croton Spring - nice little backcountry campsite with great views of the Chisos mts to the south and east. Drove out to one of my favorite spots, the Chimneys - and hit a 6 mile hike out and back to photograph them in the setting sun. The hike across the desert in the dark was truly outstanding!!!

Next day we packed up and left the National Park and headed for the first time to the Big Bend Ranch State Park. It's fairly young, only 20 years old, and has only recently had its interior opened up for easier access. I say easier because it still involved a 27 mile drive down a dirt road, most of which was easy, but with enough rough spots thrown in that I'd feel uneasy about driving a car down it. Was VERY thankful for the truck!!!

Set up camp the first night at a place called Fresno Vista. Deep in the interior of the Park, and highly isolated. To access FV, you had to take a high clearance road about 1.5 miles off the main dirt road. The campsite itself sat on top of a narrow ridge - overlooking a small valley to the east and a huge series of valleys, canyons and peaks to the west. The sunset that night was simply outstanding.

Next day headed back towards the entrance of the Park and set up shop at a place called Papalote Colorado. Nice campsite out on the flats, with a fantastic view of one of the tallest peaks in the Park, La Mota. We followed a creek bed that turned into a small canyon that ended in a pour off of about 100 feet or so. Awesome scenery on the way in and way out indeed.

Finished the trip with a stop at Ft. Davis on the way home and I'm still getting acclimated to sleeping in a bed with street noises all around me and night time temps above 40 degrees.....

I'll be hitting the State Park again and again. 300,000 acres of mountains, canyons, deserts, cliffs, and rivers/creeks. We saw a grand total of 2 guests in the Park, and that was at the visitor center.

There are hiking trails, but not many. So if you want to navigate your way around the Park - which you are encouraged to do - you're on your own. Better know how to read a map and a compass - and a GPS as well. There's no gas, no cell phone, no nothing. You're truly on your own, so know your limits and what you're capable of doing in the wilderness and you'll be fine.

For those not quite willing to rough it, there are bunks and a shower available at the Park headquarters, so if you have a bud/spouse who's not willing to sleep on the ground, there is a place for them to stay as well.

If you're seeking an escape from the norm and somewhere to get away from the rest of the world, can't recomend Big Bend Ranch State Park enough.

Did a 92 mile, 11 day backpacker last summer in the Philmont Boy Scout Ranch (northern New Mexico) with my son and our Scout Troop. First night was spent in base camp. Lots of noise. Troops pumped about hitting the trail the next day. Troops that returned from their treks and felt like supermen. Some nights we were the only group in camp while other nights there were other groups in camp. No campfires due to fire restrictions so about an hour after sunset everybody was in their tents and quiet. Might have had something to do with the 8-13 mile hikes that day or the fact that we were up at 6:00am, breaking camp and on the trail by 6:30am. Ten nights of peace and quiet sleeping hard. Fun time!

CYa,

Pat

Perfect timing!

I've got vacation in a couple of weeks and was thinking about heading down to Big Bend to do some Mt. Biking/camping/hikeing.

How are the temps and weather down there this time of year? I've read a little about it and it looks awesome.

Perfect timing!

I've got vacation in a couple of weeks and was thinking about heading down to Big Bend to do some Mt. Biking/camping/hikeing.

How are the temps and weather down there this time of year? I've read a little about it and it looks awesome.

temps for us were about perfect. Coldest night was in the 20s and warmest night was in the high 30s. Daytime temps got into the 60s-70s - and were in the 80s on the day we left.

Gets warm there fast. Daytime temps very soon will be really warm. ;) Once the sun dips below the horizon, it cools off pretty quick, tho.

• 1 month later...
Did a 92 mile, 11 day backpacker last summer in the Philmont Boy Scout Ranch (northern New Mexico) with my son and our Scout Troop.

I worked on staff there as a Philmont Ranger in 1988 and 1990.

Went on treks as a camper in 1983, 1987, and 1989.

I WANT TO GO BACK TO PHILMONT!

I want to go baaaaack to Philmont

Where the old Rayado flows,

Where the rain come a seepin'

In the tent where you're a sleepin'

And the waters say hello. HELLO!

I want to wake up in the morning

With my socks all wringing wet,

For it brings back fondest memories,

That a Ranger can't forget.

I want to hike once more the canyon floor

From Scribblins to Old Camp,

With my pack sack a-creakin',

With my back with sweat a-reekin',

And my legs begin to cramp.

I want to hike again with such great men

As made those famous treks,

From Beaubien to Porky

And from Cito to Car-Max

Careful out there.....you are in panther country.

I saw a panther take down a deer in the Chisos Mountians of Big Bend National Park in Texas......it was thrilling to see while still terrifying as that cat could have easily dropped the deer and taken me.

Yes I have some crummy pictures of the whole thing too.

Panther attack on deer.

BB