Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting a business(need info)

I have been toying with the idea of starting a catering business for some time now, and with my recent job loss now may be the time. I have cooked all my life and have catered several of the Area 6 matches. So I think I could do it for a living. The problem I have is I don't have any idea where to get any info on the legal requirements for food service. I know there are several government entities that regulate this activity. So if anyone has any ideas on where I need to look to get this information, I would appreciate it greatly.

Also where would I look to find out the laws regarding shipment. ie internet orders or mail order.

Thanks in advance

Tony

If you are going to be selling prepared foods, you might need to comply with the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act's labeling requirements. Your best bet would probably to find an attorney in your area who has represented similar companies in the past. You can always go to other caterers in your area or other companies who prepare and sell food who their attorney is.

Locally, the city health department-the same one that inspects restaurants-is responsible for making sure that food safety rules are followed. Perhaps your city/county health inspector could help, as a kitchen set up for catering locally has to follow essentially the same rules as a restaurant. That might even include not doing it at home, due to zoning ordinances for business vs. residential. My wife sells restaurant/catering equipment (in this area only, so no sales pitch) and I bet I can get a question answered for you if you have a couple.

This is what I do for a living here in Dallas. If you want to pick my brain, send some specific questions and i'll be more than happy to answer them.

1. Have a "hook" what do you do better then anyone else in your area?

2. Get liability insurance, especially if you own property.

3. Start small, use temporary kitchen space, do charity events to draw attention to yourself. Send out press releases,

all kinds of things you can do on the cheap to get noticed, leave flyers and business cards everywhere.

I have owned a food distribution company for 20+ years. Contact the local entity that is responsible for the inspection of food service operations where you live. They can provide you with the applicable rules and regulations governing your operation.

DO NOT get an attorney involved. They know absolutly nothing about what you are required to do. Save the money you are going to need it.

Take ShootingChef up on his offer and pick his brain. The whole food industry is a rough business but you can make alot of money if you do it right. Good luck with your venture, hope it works out for you.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Health inspection and Food Prep Safety/Sanitation requirements vary state to state. It will either be state and/or county that will be the entity whose rules you would want to adhere to.

The hook is a prime angle to look at. There are those people in the food business that attempt to do well with everything and in effect do okay to mediocre. Finding that group of things that you do well is great. It will give you a base from which to start from.

BTW, what are your strong suits foodwise? What clientelle have you been successful with?

I am a culinary school dropout. After working in a kitchen, I realized that I wasn't capable in making a wonderful hobby and pastdime a career.

GOOD LUCK!

Well I'm not sure about a hook. I do good BBQ but in Alabama if you don't do good BBQ they kick you out :roflol: I have several really good "cajun" dishes that are very popular. My gumbo is some of the best I have ever eaten. I have done catering before but it was mostly for shooting events, and as we all know most shooters will stuff anything down their gullets while at a match :surprise:

Still thinking it over not sure what I'm gonna do. I don't have a ton of money to put into anything now so I may have to wait hehe.

Thanks for all the info

First thing i taught my culinary students was that "your opinion of taste don't mean sh*T" only the customers. taste is subjective, and he who satisfies the customer get the dough. Works every time. I miss teaching, Gordon Ramsey is a tame version of me in the kitchen. My hero was Gunny Hartman. I had a 100% success rate, either you got it or you dropped out.

First thing i taught my culinary students was that "your opinion of taste don't mean sh*T" only the customers. taste is subjective, and he who satisfies the customer get the dough. Works every time. I miss teaching, Gordon Ramsey is a tame version of me in the kitchen. My hero was Gunny Hartman. I had a 100% success rate, either you got it or you dropped out.

:cheers: :cheers:

I couldn't have said it better hehe. I listen to what ppl want and try to give it to them. That usually works wonders.