Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help a Noob

jonnychimpo

Hey everyone,

A buddy an I are looking to do IDPA Service Revolver, but we are at a lost in which gun to choose. Keep in mind that I'm still in school so I am on a budget and would like something to the best bang for the buck. I was looking at a Taurus Tracker given my Taurus M85 has perfect in the year that I have owned it. Shooting isnt new to me be competing revolver IS new.

thanks, tim

Just my .02 but you can't beat a 4" K frame and some Comp IIIs. Some people prefer one over the other, but the general consensus seems to be that transitions from target to target are faster with a lighter K frame. To me, they just balance better than L frames do. Duane Thomas had an article in the Blue Press awhile back about SSR where he called it "S&W K Frame Division".

Nothing against Taurus, my first pistol was a PT92 that gave me hours of joy, but used K frames under $300 are as readily available as sliced bread, and it doesn't take much to give them a world class action job and make them utterly reliable. I acquired a 4" Model 15 that's going to be my SSR gun next year after I send it off to Carmoney, and I couldn't ask for anything more.

The Taurus Tracker won't be satisfactory because they are either 5 or 7 shots. You need a 6 shot revolver.

I will agree with the K-Frame S&W. That's my favorite for IDPA SSR. A 686 would be second place.

I have a Taurus M-85 that I have had for years and it is a good revolver but the S&Ws are much better for competition.

I just picked up a beater S&W Model 10 (K-frame) for $199 out the door. Used security guard weapons, my dealer got over 100 of them in and the best ones were gone in 2 days. I couldn't resist so I bought the gun, some Comp III's, a cheapy Fobus holster, and three Bladetech single speedloader holders. Pretty reasonable price wise to dabble a bit in SSR.

Ok. Thanks for all the info guys! I guess the S&W K frame is the way to go. Now I guess my last question is, what are some of the online resources were I can find them pre-owned?

Call Vivas & Sons in NY His web site is out of date but he deals in a lot of used PDNY service revolvers that are cosmetically tough but usually mechanically great.

The Model 10 with a heavy barrel is going to be your cheapest way out. When you speak to Robert, explain what the purpose is and ask him what he has. Great guy to deal with.

THIS will get you his phone number

Another place to try is KY imports and CDNN

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Thanks a lot guys, you have been really helpful! Now its just a matter of finding the right deal!!!! If anyone sees anything or is looking to sell drop me a pm or bump the thread.

send me an e mail I have a 67 with box in vg to excellent condition box stock no action work stock sights original grips plus Hogues

Also Nickel 19 again, with box all stock

I am shooting bulls eye and collecting cash for a Pardini