Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Breaking!!!!!!!!!

B.J. Norris

GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!! I clean my gun yesterday to find that I have a broken extracter plunger. OK, its all good, I got a spare, replace that, and today dry-firing I break a mag catch spring!!!!!!!! And this is the SECOND mag catch spring that I've broken too!! And to top it all off, I have a match Sunday. Keep in mind that I'm shooting a Glock, the same gun that is supposedly "Perfect" and "Unbreakable"....... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

That sucks big time. I have a similar post around here somewhere, about how I hate it that guns always break like two days before a match. Luckily yours is a Glock, so most of the repairs means putting in a spare part. But it still sucks. It takes away confidence in your gun.

G34,

I'm guessing that there's something wrong with your frame or mag catch or installation procedure.

Are you using factory springs? Making any mods to the spring? Are you sure you didn't accidently score the spring when you installed it? It's pain in the ass to install, and one could easily put a deep scratch in it with either the pliers or the screwdriver used to snap the spring into place. If you do scratch a spring, you can pretty well bet that the scratch will the the location of the future fracture.

I know you're venting here, but this seems like a systematic problem that has an identifiable solution.

Both springs were factory installed. I ended up having to get a new frame the first time (replaced for free). The only thing I can think of is that when I got the new frame, I had to put my mag catch back in it, as it came back with the standard one. But where it's broken, there's no way I could have gotten to it. And I got the new frame a year and a half ago (year and a half is about the same length the other one lasted, does this mean I'm gonna have to get a new frame every 2 years?!?!?!) so wouldn't the spring have most likely broken long ago? Guess I need to go paint 2 glock frames on my bag as kill tags..... :blink::wacko:

Edited P.S. Maybe I'm just the Erik Warren of mag catch springs...........................

G34,

I don't think you've got the Warren Family Sight Curse. I just think there's a systematic problem going on. It could be that the factory is the one messing your spring up. (Heresey, I know...) If I were you, I'd deep-six their spring and install my own brand-spanky-new one making sure it was *perfect*- read: inspected under magnification - and to install it with padded-pliers and brass punch or screwdriver to snap the spring into place. If it breaks again, then it's time to look hard at the frame and your mag catch.

Eric,

Read my post above saying that it is pretty much impossible to get the whole spring out of the frame when its broken wayyyyyyyyyy down in the frame(s). and since it broke on two different frames in two different places, it leads me to believe that there is just something wrong with me. If it was broken right at the top, where it goes into the catch, there wouldn't be a problem. But its broken way down in the frame. And you end up just pulling the top part of the spring out, leaving a small stub down in the frame which is impossible to get out without messing the frame up. Guess I got a good reason to get that STI I've been looking at... hahahahaha

It's clear to any Glockmeister that you, as the owner/operator, must have screwed up somehow. ;)

A Glock is as good as any other gun that is out there. And as weak as any other gun that is out there. But, don't look for Glock to change anything, the guns are already "Perfeckt". Claims of "Perfekshun" just don't allow room for advancement in design.

Perfection? And the Europeans say we Americans are arrogant? Sheesh! I believe I'll stick with AMERICAN IRON, and take my chances with 99.44% reliable. .

Well, I guess some breakage is inevitable, but as all of you know, it comes at the most inopportune times.

My Commander laid down yesterday, big time. I was taking a TCLEOSE class to become certified to teach to the police and darn if the lower half of the bbl bushing didn't shear off, launching the recoil spring and the retaining cap down range. As usual, I had about 37 of the 50+ parts to a 1911 in my shooting bag, but not a bushing. Cost me a chance to qualify. Have to wait till next month, now.

As I was at my 'smith's this morning, having a new one fit; his words echoed in my head. Nothing lasts forever and after 65000+ rounds, lots of things can break. Guess it is time for a tune up.