Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 X-5 Tactical and Slide Glide

sigwolf

I have the lighter version of Slide Glide which I use on all the guns I own. I recently purchased a SIG Sauer P226 X-5 Tactical 9mm. However, it would not function with the light formula Slide Glide. I had to resort to oil on the first trip to the range and later to the grease that came with the gun.

My application of the SG wasn't particularly thick and the weather was mild but the gun is tight and it has a factory recoil reducing system in it that I believe is reducing the force of the rearward movement of the slide enough to create the problem. Basically it stovepipes. Extraction if fine, ejection seems to be fine but the round gets caught.

Does anyone use SG on their X-5 tactical? Do I further cut the SG with oil to lighten it or does that compromise it's integrity as a lubricant and it's ability to stay put?

Thanks

I have the lighter version of Slide Glide which I use on all the guns I own. I recently purchased a SIG Sauer P226 X-5 Tactical 9mm. However, it would not function with the light formula Slide Glide. I had to resort to oil on the first trip to the range and later to the grease that came with the gun.

My application of the SG wasn't particularly thick and the weather was mild but the gun is tight and it has a factory recoil reducing system in it that I believe is reducing the force of the rearward movement of the slide enough to create the problem. Basically it stovepipes. Extraction if fine, ejection seems to be fine but the round gets caught.

Does anyone use SG on their X-5 tactical? Do I further cut the SG with oil to lighten it or does that compromise it's integrity as a lubricant and it's ability to stay put?

Thanks

I use SGL on my issued Sig 226/357 Sig with no issues at all. Not the same gun I know, but FYI.

Sorry to tell you this but if it is stovepiping on you, Extraction or Ejection are NOT fine. Slide glide is not the problem either. My prediction is you are going to get to know the customer service people at SIG. :ph34r:

Sigwolf:

I have X5 Tactical (DA with decocker) in .40, are you having any trouble with the gun getting back into battery, especially if you cycle the slide softly by hand ?. Anyway, my gut is, given my experience with this brand and other custom shop type guns is because the gun is shipped with very tight tolerances, you will either have to shoot your way into a well running gun (1,000 + rds) or do what I did (see below), I think your extractors is fine. If the last 1/8" - 1/4" inch of slide return is also sticky, eg, does the slide sometimes needs a nudge into to battery, I would probably do the following (this is what I did w/my .40):

- replaced oem recoil spring with a Wolff progressive spring in 16lb for the .40, I'd use no less than a 14# progressive for the 9mm. I very rarely use progressive springs, but do sometimes for break ins.

- during break in, use militec or fp-10 oil on rails - clp with detergent.

- polished the frame rail with a dremel buffing wool attachment (the yellow/gold is much finer which I used, the red/grey material is much more abrasive, don't use), probably 6-8 passes, very softly on each side's frame (male) rail.

That seems to have cured it.

Thanks Jon !

Edited by jkushner1

I've used slide glide on my Tactical X5 and my Comp X5 with great results. I had some extraction probs with the Comp but that was due to a mis-tensioned extractor. Now she runs like a top.

I've even used in on the inner part of the two piece guide rod...just light coating there however.

I'd call Sig CS.

Good luck and let us know what they have to say.

Welcome to the board.

Edited by hk_mtbr

Sigwolf:

I have X5 Tactical (DA with decocker) in .40

Thanks Jon !

This is an X5? I heard there were about 75 40.cal X5's that made it here...but the only DA/SA I know of is the Allround...please advise...and pics too :)

May I suggest a trip to sigforum.com, or better yet, talking to Bruce Gray, or Scott Folk (or anyone at Grayguns, you can find their info at www.grayguns.com). You'll find many threads devoted to extractor issues with the X-5 and P220. I know from personal experience (I own an X-5 comp.) that Bruce can work his magic on your gun better than Sig can. I got the XLP on mine and have no other issues with it.

Edited by CPUFIXER