Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading .223 on 550

tfelog

I've just started to load 223 and have noticed a lot of slop when you put a case in the shell plate. I've been reloading for pistol for years and have never had this problem. I have to use my fingers to guide it in or I will crush the case. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way it is.

Thanks

-Ryan

Edited by tfelog

So long as you have the correct shell plate in place, be sure it's tight enough. Screw the center bolt down until it stops, then back it out about 1/8 turn before you lock it down. You shouldn't have to "hand feed" the brass into the dies.

Alan~^~

So long as you have the correct shell plate in place, be sure it's tight enough. Screw the center bolt down until it stops, then back it out about 1/8 turn before you lock it down. You shouldn't have to "hand feed" the brass into the dies.

Alan~^~

Yeah, +1 on Alan's advice... I was having same problem, then rechecked the shell plate as Alan described, problem solved. Also, I lube and size then trim as a pre loading exercise, this avoids the lube while loading powder & Bullets. :rolleyes:

Same here. I just started loading .223 too after years of loading only pistol rounds and noticed too how loosely the .223 cases are held. I called Dillon and first they verified I had the correct plate and pins. I was good in that regard. Dillon rep says because of the small base and the length of .223 case the additional play or loosness is more noticeable and that as long as the case is retracted from the dies on the upstroke of the lever I should be GTG. However, because of the extra play I found I can't cycle the shell plate as fast as I'm accustomed when loading pistol rounds and that I have to hold the bullet in place until it's in the mouth of the seating die or the bullet will fall off because of the extra play.

Same here. I just started loading .223 too after years of loading only pistol rounds and noticed too how loosely the .223 cases are held. I called Dillon and first they verified I had the correct plate and pins. I was good in that regard. Dillon rep says because of the small base and the length of .223 case the additional play or loosness is more noticeable and that as long as the case is retracted from the dies on the upstroke of the lever I should be GTG. However, because of the extra play I found I can't cycle the shell plate as fast as I'm accustomed when loading pistol rounds and that I have to hold the bullet in place until it's in the mouth of the seating die or the bullet will fall off because of the extra play.

Glad it wasn't just me. Makes me a little leery of switching over to the 650. Although I see guys on youtube cranking them out.

I ran into this also. Pulled the locater pins from the shell plate and wrapped masking tape around the head and trimmed off excess. It took about three wraps to get a thickness that I need to tighten the case in the slot. Becase the pin will rotate when the shell makes contact the tape holds up pretty well, just change as needed. Just don't go so far that the casing is too tight.

I ran into this also. Pulled the locater pins from the shell plate and wrapped masking tape around the head and trimmed off excess. It took about three wraps to get a thickness that I need to tighten the case in the slot. Becase the pin will rotate when the shell makes contact the tape holds up pretty well, just change as needed. Just don't go so far that the casing is too tight.

Thanks. I'll try that.