Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

686 amd speedloaders

AzShooter

I picked up a new to me 686 no dash today. I just wanted a 6 inch gun and the price was right. I also wanted a 6 shot but not a 625 for IPSC. I know I'm going against the trend but I'm crazy that way. :devil:

Last week I ordered Safariland Comp IIIs for the gun. I'm really going old school with this and for now I have no intention of converting it to moons. It's a matter of FUN.

I tuned the action a little, just polished it up as per Jerry's DVD and got the trigger nice and smooth. It's no where near my 627 but it's comfortable at 6 lbs compared to it's stock stroke at 9 1/2 lbs. Single action is a very crisp 2 1/2 lbs and I'll probably use it for bullseye practise sessions as well fortunately I didn't have to work on the single action at all.

The speedloaders had to be tuned. New, they just wouldn't release the cases when I charged the cylinderes. I cut the loaders down so that they were just above the rim of the .38 case. The thing to remember is not to cut down the center plunger. If you do the loader won't fire at all. I did this on the first one, forgetting how critical this step was. I didn't take them apart... would have been the best approach but I didn't want to play with that blind pin hole holding the spring on.

The one I messed up I epoxyed a hex head bolt in so that it would be the same length it was before I trimed it. It now fires just like the others.

Best thing. I practiced reloading tonight with dumbies and the loaders would fire and spring about a foot away from the gun. Again, it's more of a fun thing. One actually launched over my head after the reload. Bullets all seated into the cylinders with no problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to shoot a local USPSA match with it. I've got some Major loads I want to play with and I think the six shot cylinder is a little stronger than the 8 shot, with all that extra metal between the holes.

I'll probably add pics in a few days so you can see what's been done.

I am thinking of finding a 4 inch 686 to shoot IDPA so I am watching this post with interest. Some pics as you go along would be appreciated. My other choice would be a 4 inch 625. (Probably best choice since I have gear for a 625 5 inch.

686%20with%20180s.jpg

Here's the 686. It's in pretty good shape. Just when I buy a gun another one shows up. At the range today a friend offered to sell me a 6 in 586 for $350. I didn't need it and I'm already selling out the guns in my safe I don't shoot but I hope it goes to a good home.

Open%20cylinder.jpg

The cylinder has just barely been radiused to help the bullets go in faster. I may take this further along. :devil: Like to about .40 cal LOL ( JOKING )

Comp%20III%20cut%20down.jpg

The adjusted comp III. If you look at Bubba's post he shows how he did his. Good old Mike Henry of Mesa did this years ago and I've never seen ANYONE reload faster than Mike.

I am thinking of finding a 4 inch 686 to shoot IDPA so I am watching this post with interest. Some pics as you go along would be appreciated. My other choice would be a 4 inch 625. (Probably best choice since I have gear for a 625 5 inch.

Mike - I've used my 681 in IDPA in both SSR and ESR, though I haven't shot it in a while. If you want to shoot SSR, a K frame is better IMO. If you want to shoot ESR and be competitive, the 625 is a better idea. If you want to have fun in both divisions with the same gun, go with the 686.

I'm curious. I don't shoot IDPA, but I've always wondered why you'd shoot a fixed sight gun if you can shoot an adjustable sight gun unless the targets are so close you can point shoot.

I've shot one IDPA match with a 3" Model 64 (fixed sights). It's a carry gun. I picked up a 4" Model 15 (adjustable sights) with the intention of having it Carmonized. The sight picture is really not that different. It's nice to be able to adjust the sights for the load you're shooting, but with a fixed sight K frame and a 158 RNL load that makes minor, odds are it's shooting to point of aim anyway. I got a dedicated SSR gun because I wanted a "gamer" gun that was tricked out, and because K frames are sweeeeet!

I'm curious. I don't shoot IDPA, but I've always wondered why you'd shoot a fixed sight gun if you can shoot an adjustable sight gun unless the targets are so close you can point shoot.

The sight picture on a modern (mid-60s or later) S&W fixed sight gun is actually pretty good - not a Bomar by any means, but good. As Glockopop mentioned, they usually shoot to, or close to, POA with 158 grain bullets. Any bad shots I make at distance are due to me not having aligned the sights, rather than due to the sights' configuration. Also, there's no chance of them snagging on a cover garment, which can happen with adjustable sights, or high profile fixed sights on an autoloader.

When Sam was first starting out, I had him shooting a 4" skinny-barrel Model 10. I figured out a load that hit right to point of aim, and he had absolutely no problem shooting that thing, routinely cleaning Texas Stars, etc.