Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

September

Duane Thomas

WARNING: Language perhaps unsuitable for children and Menonites.

This month's Win a Book contest consists of identifying the following movie quotes. Some of these are single lines, some are actually two-person conversations, the only common link being that I liked them, they stuck in my mind. Just a hint, since I know you guys like that sort of thing: the oldest movie quoted here was released in 1935, the newest in 2000; one movie has two quotes listed, simply because it's one of my all-time favorites. To have a correct answer, you must identify the movie and name the actor(s)/actress(es) being quoted. 10 quotes. Let the games begin!

1. "It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about."

2. "Have you ever quit before?"

"I'd rather not talk during this last one, if you don't mind."

3. You take Los Angles, okay? If I say that Los Angeles has become, over the years, a Mecca for homosexual migration, I am in the right. But look at what I am saying. I am making it sound like faggots are migratory if not predatory miscreants who have some implied need to move around. I am also likening them to Muslims, or Muslims to them. Whereas saying, 'L.A. is filled with faggots,' is just being honest."

4. "This vampire business has given me a great idea for a new act. Luna, in the new act, I will be the vampire. Did you watch me? I gave all of me. I was greater than any real vampire!"

5. "Caretaker's manager. If I'd have only found you sooner. Y'know?"

6. "I'm entering uncharted territory. Taking the path that leads to equality with God. You can't come with me. I must travel alone. But you may look on, and marvel."

"That's very kind of you."

"Indeed it is. There have been men who have been burned alive, or disemboweled, for just a glimpse of what you are about to witness."

7. "Gentleman, the lunchbox has landed."

8. "You know, I just can't get over that."

"You really care for her, huh?"

"No, not that. Two Olympic medals, just sitting up there on your mantlepiece, under some paper."

"Oh that."

"'Oh that'! It just means you're the best in the world, that's all."

"Well. That's what it's supposed to mean."

"That's what they do mean. If I was you, I'd wear them to school. Well, then Fenton wouldn't push you around all the time....what?"

[Laughter] "Don't you think it's a little bit, um, pretentious? I mean, wearing the medals around...."

"You won 'em, didn't you."

[Laughter]

"Okay. Fine. Whatever. Great. I'd wear 'em, if I was you."

9. "God, I hate that bitch."

"Probably shouldn't have married her then, huh?"

10. "Video's a poor excuse, I know, but it helps me remember. I need to remember. Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world. I feel like I can't take it. And my heart is just going to cave in."

1. American Beauty. Lester.

3. Way of the Gun. Parker

5. The shining. Grady

7. Full Monty...Gaz

9. THE ABYSS

Bud "Virgil" Brigman: [regarding Lindsay Brigman] God, I hate that bitch.

Alan "Hippy" Carnes: You probably shouldn't have married her then.

10. Entire Life Behind Things

written by Alan Ball

Ricky: It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing. And there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it, right? And this bag was just... dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. That's the day I realized that there was this entire life behind things, and this incredibly benevolent force that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid ever. Video's a poor excuse, I know. But it helps me remember...I need to remember. (distant) Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it...and my heart is going to cave in.

---- Alan Ball, from American Beauty

Man, tough stuff...

I've been thinking of using a single movie quote for next month's trivia, since shooting trivia seems to be quite scarce.

be

Those are pretty tough.

I used Google to find most of the answers I posted. (I can't win again this year anyway...just being a spoiler. ;) )

Note that there are some websites devoted to movie dialogue too. :D

I used Google to find most of the answers I posted. (I can't win again this year anyway...just being a spoiler. ;) )

Note that there are some websites devoted to movie dialogue too. :D

I figured there were. So, I'm gonna pm you with my movie line...

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, over half the month gone and only two guesses (Flex's don't count). Obviously I haven't done a good job here. How does this sound: I'll give you guys and gals a list of all the actors' and actresses' names that go into the answers. You match them up to the quote and list the movie to have a correct answer. Thus your answers would look like:

1. Al Pacino, Insomnia.

2. Jim Carrey & Jennifer Tilly, Liar Liar.

3. Etc.

No kibitzing, Flex. :o

Here's the list:

John Belushi

Wes Bentley

Michael Biehn

Blair Brown

Robert Carlyle

Cathy Lee Crosby

Johnny Depp

Todd Graff

Ed Harris

Frank Langella

Bela Lugosi

Burt Reynolds

Ryan Phillippe

Kevin Spacey

Aha... #3 is Ryan Phillipe from Way of the Gun. Can't remember if it was in the 1st hotel (Mexican police scene) or car that he said this, though.

#9 is Ed Harris from Abyss. Two things bugged me about that movie-- the abalone-colored alien space ship and the breathing fluid. Every time he pukes up the fluid, I just about puke, too.

#7 is Robert Carlyle from The Full Monty. If I hadn't seen Formula 51 (with Samuel L. Jackson) the other night, I wouldn't even remember who he was. He also played a James Bond nemesis that had a bullet lodged in his head and felt no pain... one of the recent ones with Pierce Brosnan, obviously. Guy's got some range :D .

I *should* know what #2 is... it's very familiar. Unfortunately even the names aren't helping on that one.

Whelp, I'm spent.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my shot:

1. Kevin Spacey American Beauty

2. John Belushi and Blair Brown Continental Divide

3. Ryan Phillippe Way of the Gun

4. Bela Lugosi Mark of the Vampire

5. Burt Reynolds The Longest Yard

6. Johhny Depp and Frank Langella Ninth Gate

7. Robert Carlyle Full Monty

8. Cathy Lee Crosby and Michael Biehn Coach

9. Todd Graff and Ed Harris The Abyss