Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr bullets

WildWest N AZ

I have heard of some issues with plated bullets in the polygonal rifling but my 2 Glock don't seem to care. Might just be Gtalk nonsense.

Plated bullets are all I use in my Glocks and there has never been a problem. If there is, it maybe because the plating is too thin and strips off.

I have heard of some issues with plated bullets in the polygonal rifling but my 2 Glock don't seem to care. Might just be Gtalk nonsense.

Plated bullets are all I use in my Glocks and there has never been a problem. If there is, it maybe because the plating is too thin and strips off.

The 2 things that I have heard bad about plated is: Dont over crimp can cause the plating to come apart during flight, and dont shoot over 1200fps.

[The 2 things that I have heard bad about plated is: Dont over crimp can cause the plating to come apart during flight, and dont shoot over 1200fps.

Lessee, 147 grain std OAL 9mm at the OLD MAJOR PF, out of an OEM Glock barrel - now that's a load I don't want to be anywhere close to at the beep... :ph34r:

FWIW, I use moly 147's over 3.3 gr TG, and MG 147 CMJ's over 3.7 gr N320, OAL's 1125 and 1135 respectively, for 135'ish PF's through my 34's.

Edited by kevin c

• 10 months later...
Im not new to reloading, but new to loading 9mm? Just wondering the G17 will eat them and run good with that grain of bullet. I run 180's in my 40 loads and like the way gun handles with a heavy bullet less snap. Wondering if the same applies for the 9mm loads?? Thanks!

My Search didn't find anything about 147 gr MG with WW231 powder.

And I just got a lot of MG 147's in - want to try them in my BHP.

Anybody have a starting recipe to make pf of 125 - 133 out of a

standard, full length 9mm using WW231 powder? And OAL as well?

Thanks,

Jack

Im not new to reloading, but new to loading 9mm? Just wondering the G17 will eat them and run good with that grain of bullet. I run 180's in my 40 loads and like the way gun handles with a heavy bullet less snap. Wondering if the same applies for the 9mm loads?? Thanks!

My Search didn't find anything about 147 gr MG with WW231 powder.

And I just got a lot of MG 147's in - want to try them in my BHP.

Anybody have a starting recipe to make pf of 125 - 133 out of a

standard, full length 9mm using WW231 powder? And OAL as well?

Thanks,

Jack

The 3rd Edition of the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook gives:-

147gr TMJ

3.5gr - 4.1gr/231

OAL = 1.115"

Velocity range = 855fps - 957fps

PF range = 125.685 - 140.679

Start low and work up.

I have lots of Bullseye and was wondering if anyone had a good load for the 147gr using it.

The 3rd Edition of the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook gives:-

147gr TMJ

3.4gr - 3.9gr/Bullseye

OAL = 1.115"

Velocity range = 871fps - 971fps

PF range = 128.037- 142.737

Start low and work up.

You will find that Bullseye is a wee bit too fast a burning powder. I did.