Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18" Barrels For Ar's

sahauptman

If you really want a lighter AR barrel, why not just get one in A2 profile? There is a pound difference in weight between the HBAR and A2. I just bought an HBAR from J&T Distributing and had them turn it down to A2 profile for $20 extra.

What ammo has trouble making major out of 16" or 14.5" barrels? M193 55gr should be heading out at about 3050 fps avg out of a 14.5", it only needs 2910 fps right?

Anyways cutting down may be cheapest, and the 2" shouldn't make enough difference to cause pressure issues. It would be interesting to see, I like the way the Dissapators look.

What ammo has trouble making major out of 16" or 14.5" barrels? M193 55gr should be heading out at about 3050 fps avg out of a 14.5", it only needs 2910 fps right?

That's a good question. I've heard that PMC 55gr is notorious for "not making minor" in 16-inch guns, but if that's true, it's going to be close (or worse) in a 20-inch gun too.

I suspect . . . and I could be wrong . . . that once one brand of factory 55gr gets a rep for being loaded light, all of the rest of the factory 55gr get painted with the same brush.

Today one of the well known chrono operators was talking about people not making minor with 16 inch guns with Winchester white box . . . now I don't doubt what he says because he's seen it all, but something is odd there.

I wonder if MAYBE people are not being specific about which brand of factory 55gr they're using or something when they report it to the chrono people, because Winchester Q3131 and Q3131A should easily make minor out of even a 14.5 inch barrel as you mentioned (they're definitely M193 spec!). IMI M193, So. African M1A3 and M1A4, and all other M193 clones should all easily make it.

Of course, there are brands of ammo that print "M193" on the box that don't meet all of the specs . . . I suppose the only way to be sure is to chrono your ammo in your gun and see what's what.

Black Hills "blue box: 55gr FMJ did not make minor out of my 16" RRA.

-z

Black Hills doesn't advertise it as M193 either, does it? I'll bet it would have trouble making it in a 20 inch barrel too.

Do you recall the actual velocity from your rifle?

Have you tried the Winchester USA white box loads? (Q3131 and Q3131A)?

The South African surplus M193 is very hot, but not so accurate. Pie-plate size groups at 200-yards are common.

-z

Hey, that's good enough for government work! :P

Heck, my groups at 100 yards with a good rifle/ammo combination are plate size or bigger anyway (offhand).