Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5" TSS STI - Failure to Go Into Batery

Chris Rhines

I have a 5" TSS STI Limited gun, short/wide dust cover, lightened Classic slide. I'm the second owner of the gun.

Since I got it, I've put about 2000 flawless rounds through it. I replaced the recoil spring with an ISMI 12.5# spring about 1000 rounds ago, and the gun is otherwise just as it left Benny's shop. Last weekend I shot it in a local 3-gun match and had no trouble.

I normally shoot a Precision 185grn. black bullet over 4.5grn. of Ramshot Competition at 1.170" OAL. I also sometimes use a 180grn. Zero over 4.4grn. Titegroup, same length.

Yesterday, I went out to practice. About 200 rounds into my practice session, the gun started failing to go into battery. The bullet would be stuck partway into the chamber. Usually, a light tap on the back of the slide would get it running again. It was doing this literally every shot.

I stripped the gun down last night, cleaned it, gave the extractor tunnel a good scrubbing, checked the extractor (AFTEC) for burrs, etc. Nothing to be found.

I shot again today, and had more of the same problem. Interestingly, when I switched to the 180grn. Zero load, I had fewer malfunctions, maybe every 5-6 rounds.

Right now I've got the gun stripped down and the barrel soaking in MPro7. I'm going to call Benny tomorrow, but until then is there anything else I should look at?

- Chris

By far not an expert but I had a similar problem with my gun awhile back. Things that I checked/ask:

1. What spring did it have in it before and did this problem exist then.

2. Make sure the chamber hasn’t got any build up prior to the rifling.

3. Check the ejection pattern. Is it far enough away from you, 5-8 feet is what most recommend I think.

4. If your ejection is good double check your ammo. Does it fall in and out of the chamber? I don’t use gauges, since they are not what I’m shooting. I use the barrel AFTER a practice session to gauge my rounds. Reason being that the gun is only clean on the first stage.

5. Is the slide fully cycling? If it doesn’t come back far enough it will still eject with the brass, landing close and the slide will not have enough momentum to strip the next round and fully chamber it.

6. Mags. Make sure the rounds are not dragging as they are stripped out creating more resistance and slowing the slide down.

In my instance my slide was short stroking. Bumped the PF about 3-5 points and played with the recoil spring a little and all has been good since.

Best of luck.

Just to be sure, check your reloading dies to see if anything backed out, and measure your rounds sizing, crimp and oal. Sometimes things just happen.

+1... I know it doesn't sound like it, but... if you've got rounds where you're getting setback on the feed ramp, this can cause stalls going into batter - there's not enough "oomph" left in the recoil spring to snug the rim under the extractor after its spent all that energy seating the bullet deeper. I would especially consider this given that it sounds like you're switching bullets around - and that you say the only thing you've done is swapped recoil springs (and that it ran for 1K with the current/new spring before showing the issue).

Hello: Look in the barrel from the breach end and make sure the corner of the chamber is clean. I have to clean my 45 using Precision bullets sometimes with a scriber to clean up that area. The brass will hit a chunk of moly left in there and then it will go into battery after a light tap of the hand. Now after every cleaning I check that area just to make sure. Hope this helps and let us know if it does. Thanks, Eric

Might have this one sorted. It looks like the problem was a combination of things.

- I pulled out the extractor and examined it very closely, under magnification and bright lights. Surprise surprise, I found a tiny burr just at the top of the relief cut. Three strokes with the #2 Swill pillar file cleaned that up. Hand-cycling some dummy rounds through the gun felt much smoother afterwards.

- The chamber was pretty dirty. The MPro7 bath helped.

- My Precision moly load was sticking in the chamber just a tiny bit. I knew this from chamber-checking my match ammo, but had ignored it up until now because that load fed and ejected just fine. I realize now that I was probably right on the edge of feedway malfunctions. Since I've about run through this batch of ammo, I may try shortening the OAL on that load to 1.150-1.160".

Thanks to everyone.

- Chris

I have a 5" TSS STI Limited gun, short/wide dust cover, lightened Classic slide. I'm the second owner of the gun.

Since I got it, I've put about 2000 flawless rounds through it. I replaced the recoil spring with an ISMI 12.5# spring about 1000 rounds ago, and the gun is otherwise just as it left Benny's shop. Last weekend I shot it in a local 3-gun match and had no trouble.

I normally shoot a Precision 185grn. black bullet over 4.5grn. of Ramshot Competition at 1.170" OAL. I also sometimes use a 180grn. Zero over 4.4grn. Titegroup, same length.

Yesterday, I went out to practice. About 200 rounds into my practice session, the gun started failing to go into battery. The bullet would be stuck partway into the chamber. Usually, a light tap on the back of the slide would get it running again. It was doing this literally every shot.

I stripped the gun down last night, cleaned it, gave the extractor tunnel a good scrubbing, checked the extractor (AFTEC) for burrs, etc. Nothing to be found.

I shot again today, and had more of the same problem. Interestingly, when I switched to the 180grn. Zero load, I had fewer malfunctions, maybe every 5-6 rounds.

Right now I've got the gun stripped down and the barrel soaking in MPro7. I'm going to call Benny tomorrow, but until then is there anything else I should look at?

- Chris

Sometime ago I replied to a similar post. Maybe this will help.

You mentioned putting through a lot of round in one session. Did you "renew" the lubrication as you went along???

Very often I see this situation with a fellow competitor in the middle of a match. I always carry with me a small bottle of "magic lube/oil". When this happens I just put in a few drops of oil at the juncture of the slide and barrel (by the locking lugs) and rack the slide back and forth a few times to disperse the lube over the barrel. Usually the situation disappears instantly, and the slide will continue to close fine again. In your case of doing 2000 rounds, I would also consider going to the safe area, removing the extractor, cleaning it and the tunnel, reinstalling it, lubing the gun a little bit more and back to shooting.

Update - just got back from the range. The malfunctions aren't happening as frequently, but I'm still getting some failures. Maybe 10 failures to go into battery in 250 rounds.

I'm using basically the same load, 185grn. black bullets, 1.170" OAL, but with a 0.417" crimp.

One further observation - I have 4 STI 140mm magazines, two with Grams internals and Dawson pads, two with Bolen everything, and 6 SVI 140mm magazines with Bolen everything. Most of the malfunctions happened while using the SVI mags.

Any ideas?

- Chris