Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Loading in a 650

AZ-Ranger

I am a novice reloader and need some advice. For quite some time I have been using Lee dies in my Dillon 650. After reading quite a bit in these forums and listening to a friend who shoots quite a bit of NRA HP, I have decided to change to Dillon Carbide .223 dies due to the fact that the Dillon is a small base resizer. Though I must admit, the Lee FL sizer has not given me problems in any of my loads, I want to avoid any problems in the future. That being said, the Lee seat die is all sorts of wacky. I find that if I seat a bullet and it is over magazine tolerant length, I must run the round through again and the problem usually corrects itself on the second time through. The Lee seat die is not consistent in the least bit. The loaded bullet seems to be pushed deeper when I run it through the second time.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Also, I want to be able to load match ammunition as well as plinking ammo. I want to avoid the seat problems that I am experiencing with the Lee.

Should I purchase a micrometer type seat die separately? If so, any recommendations?

Edited by AZ-Ranger

While I've had ZERO problems with my Dillon dies on my 650 in 223 (I use the non-carbide dies under advice from a friend at Dillon), I did switch to the Redding Competition Seating Die, because while for 3-Gun I load all 69gr. SMK's, I do also load a 55gr. plinker load for practice/hoser matches and 75's for my 20". Basically the point is that on the 650 toolhead for 223, I try to keep it as flexible as possible.

- Redding Competition Seating Die

- Unique Tek Powder Measure adjustment knob

All the other dies though are Dillon. I like to use their case lube prior to loading. I find it's better for rifle cases over One Shot (that I use on pistol).

Rich

I use an RCBS seating die in station 3 and a Lee FCD in the final station. If I hadn't already had the RCBS dies, I would have probably gone with the Dillon set. I love the Lee FCD - gives just the right amount of "kiss" on the crimp to make the rounds run sweet in an AR.

If ya have some money, $105.99 to be exact, plus shipping, burning a hole in your pocket, I have to wonder how well an RCBS Gold Medal seating die would work:

GoldMedalSeater.jpg

from MidwayUSA

It has a little window in the side that you drop the bullet into.

But then again, I suspect that if you used boattailed bullets and maybe had a slight inside the neck chamfer, you wouldn't have to worry so much about having to guide the bullet on the case into the seater die, and possibly smashing or pinching your thumb and index finger.

Me? I am using the Redding Competition bullet seating, which according to Midway's site is about 20 bucks cheaper.

I have a spare Dillon seater I am not using, by the way. ;)

I have had good luck using Hornady seating dies as they are quite cheap and have a floating bushing/seating stem that holds the neck and bullet more or less concentric while the bullet gets seated. This seems to work pretty well. (Downside is no micrometer to let you change OAL easily like on the Redding).

Peter Adams

FY-39604

I have had good luck using Hornady seating dies as they are quite cheap and have a floating bushing/seating stem that holds the neck and bullet more or less concentric while the bullet gets seated. This seems to work pretty well. (Downside is no micrometer to let you change OAL easily like on the Redding).

Peter Adams

FY-39604

I also use the hornady 223 seating die for the same reasons you listed. For about $20, you can get a micrometer seating adjustment that fits the hornady die.

The hornady part number is 044090.

If ya have some money, $105.99 to be exact, plus shipping, burning a hole in your pocket, I have to wonder how well an RCBS Gold Medal seating die would work:

GoldMedalSeater.jpg

from MidwayUSA

It has a little window in the side that you drop the bullet into.

But then again, I suspect that if you used boattailed bullets and maybe had a slight inside the neck chamfer, you wouldn't have to worry so much about having to guide the bullet on the case into the seater die, and possibly smashing or pinching your thumb and index finger.

Me? I am using the Redding Competition bullet seating, which according to Midway's site is about 20 bucks cheaper.

I have a spare Dillon seater I am not using, by the way. ;)

Dude YOU rock!