Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

oil less air compressors

RIIID

In less than a year my compressor has gone down twice, the first time a woren piston ring, today it threw a rod. Piston, sleeve, rod, and cooling fan turned into tiny pieces. Cost of replacement parts over a hundred, new compressor( bigger and better) over a grand. My first compressor my dad bought back in 1973, it lasted till 2005 with just belt changes and oil. The latest one 3 years old and has gone down twice. Looks like I'll have to fix it and keep it for back up to the new one I'm going to have to buy. My current back up can't run my blast cabinet and I got to do alot of blasting.

Rich

That sucks Rich, seems like most compressors are throw away designs these days, even the smaller commercial units. Get up into the 15 horse 3 phase and up I think you can still buy a good tough unit but that gets really spendy really fast...

Last blast session I had was with an undersize compressor as well, and it sucks. You can rent a diesel trailer type for $75-100 a day around here that will run 2 blast cabinets and 2 jackhammers at the same time without even breathing hard, if you have a LOT of blasting to do it might be worth it to drag one home and get it done. I have used them several times at my day job and they will run 8 hours on 10 gallons of fuel running balls out the entire time so operating costs aren't that high.

Why are you buying oilless compressors for severe duty work? I know they are cheaper but I'm sure the compressor didn't break at an opportune time & did it really cost that much less than one with oil? How much did it cost for you to not have it when you needed it?

Another point, how loud is it, especially compared to the same SCFM range compressor with oil?

I'm not picking on you or anything, just trying to understand. I use compressors pretty hard but always buy ones that take oil. The one I've got now is getting a little tired but I've had it for hmmm, @8-9 years. It has never gone down, yet. I have changed the oil a couple of times, though. hahaha. When it is really cold, it doesn't want to start but that is pretty much the only big problem.

Good luck,

MLM

I looked around at some compressor shops and found a nice 8 year old 2 stage 5hp 80 gal compressor for $750. Pump is totally rebuildable and made out of cast iron. Made to be around for a really long time.

Check out some shops in the area, you might find a good deal.

You all are thinking too big, this is my shop air supply for gun smithing. I need 5.5 cfm @40 psi to use the blast cabinet, it's my biggest air use piece of equipment. When I'm not using the cabinet the compressor may kick on 5 or 6 times a day. I'd love to have a screw compressor but I still need to put a car into the garage. I've got 8 complete guns to blast, I got 3 lowers done before it crapped out. The oil less compressors I used in my carpentry career worked fine with little to no maintenance. These things just aren't built for the long haul. I should have just bought another motor for the old one but it just takes up too much room(horizontal).

Rich

Why are you buying oilless compressors for severe duty work?

The reason for an oil less compressor is so that the air that is being compressed has no oil in it.

For some applications, such as painting, the oil will cause major issues.

Can you disconnect and/or isolate it when not being used? It will save some miles on it when you aren't using air. I only connect mine when using it, otherwise it is isolated and doesn't turn on but once every two or three days. That alone should really extend the life of a non-commercial unit.

The 5 or 6 times it cycles a day is from other air use daily, by passing wouldn't do anything even though it is disconnected when not being used.

No 3 phase, phase converter for other equipment that use it.

Rich

I appreciate all the help but I've got it figured out. I'm just pissed that it went down when I needed it.

My 8-9 yr old one is a portable Hitachi. Pumps just about the amount of air you are talking about, runs on 110 but has an oil bath. I've shot lots of lacquer, sprayed acoustic ceiling, & of course, shot lots & lots of nails with it. Aired up a few tires, too. I won't even look at oilless compressors when I buy. Just not worth it.

I've never had trouble with oil in my lacquer & it would show for sure.

Good luck,

MLM

You all are thinking too big, this is my shop air supply for gun smithing. I need 5.5 cfm @40 psi to use the blast cabinet, it's my biggest air use piece of equipment. When I'm not using the cabinet the compressor may kick on 5 or 6 times a day. I'd love to have a screw compressor but I still need to put a car into the garage. I've got 8 complete guns to blast, I got 3 lowers done before it crapped out. The oil less compressors I used in my carpentry career worked fine with little to no maintenance. These things just aren't built for the long haul. I should have just bought another motor for the old one but it just takes up too much room(horizontal).

Rich

What brand of compressor do you have?

The problem with the oil less compressors for carpentry they are not continuous duty compressors. I work on compressors and nail guns for contractors. You need to get on oil compressor.

Look here.

or look at Home depot or Lowes for Campbell Hausfeld.

BK