Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major with heavy bullets

Benjamin Arendt

At the moment I am running Hornady 124grs FM-ENC with 7,6grs Longshot and a COL of 1,160". This is good for a good Major Faktor. The Dot stays in the lens of my C-More.

Gun is a STI-Trubor 5". I also have a Modified Blaster which I am running with Frontier 165grs .401 Bullets and 7grs of N340 at 1,2" with a good Major Faktor.

So much for the situation...

My thoughts are: Why shouldn`t I use heavy bullets around 145grs in my Open Blaster. The Modi is kind of a pretty short open with .40 caliber... why do I use so light ones in my open and not in the modi?

Has anybody here experiences with a Major Load with 145/147grs bullets and maybe N340 or Longshot for 9mm Major?

I pretty much don`t know where to start but I really would like to try this because I am shooting the Modified as my main-gun and the Open for training and want to have kind of the same feeling shooting my babies... :wub:

Thanks....

Benjamin

post-14531-1232627064_thumb.jpg

post-14531-1232627085_thumb.jpg

Benjamin,

The heaviest I've ever seen is 125gr for major 9. Case capacity, case wall thickness are the limiting factors. Very limiting.

A 147 grainer at major velocities in a 9mm Luger case is a KA-POW....which is bigger than a KA-BOOM :)

Lots of other choices. 115-121-124 and 125's are much better ideas.

Jim

Benjamin,

The heaviest I've ever seen is 125gr for major 9. Case capacity, case wall thickness are the limiting factors. Very limiting.

A 147 grainer at major velocities in a 9mm Luger case is a KA-POW....which is bigger than a KA-BOOM :)

If you had to keep the OAL short (glock mags) then you would increase the initial pressure spike with the longer bullet. However, if you could load as long as you wanted (chamber has enough freebore and you're using mags that will accept longer ammo) you'll actually run less pressure.

The only downside, already mentioned, is that the smaller powder charge won't produce as much gas to work the comp as efficiently as possible.

Well thanks so far...

I actually load the 9Major to 1.16", with the 124grs bullets. I increase the length to 1.22" because of the longer bullet to keep the seating depth.

Iam realy interested to find a load with the propellants I have at home..

Thinking about loads like: 5.8grs/6.1grs/6,3grs/6,5grs of Longshot.

What do you think about that?

Or should I try N340 for that purpose? Maybe 5grs for the 145?

@JimmyM: The velocity for Major(165) will be 1140 f/s for the 145grs bullet, for the 124grs it has to be 1330 f/s. I think the feeling will be a little less than my Modified...

As someone pointed out in another thread, VV publishes a major 9x19 load (the ONLY one, AFAIK).

Page 48 of the 2008 book, 9mm Luger:

147 gr. Hornady HP/XTP, 3N38, 1.142 OAL, 4" BBL 1/10:

6.3 gr = 1171 fps (172 PF)

6.9 gr = 1207 fps (177 PF)

• 2 weeks later...

Tested different bullet weights some time ago in 9mm Major. My gun has Trubor T2 barrel with 2x3mm hybrid holes and slide weight 280 grams. It may feel different in a different kind of gun...

Good thing : you can make heavier bullets (147) make major with less pressure compared to for example 124gr, if you use same powder (I use HS-6).

Bad thing : dot takes much more time to come back to center of the screen. Recoil with heavy bullet is also not so constant.

I felt my dot was going to all directions at the same time :)

First planned to practice with heavy bullets (=less powder, lower pressure and harder to shoot) but it was too different for me.

I planned to test some 130-135 grain bullets, but dropped them because of experience with 147gr.

Same thing with 9mmx19 factory ammo also : recoil is really soft, but I still shoot much faster with Major-ammo that will return the dot back to center much faster.

Shortly : with this expereience do not recommend bullets over 125 grains.

Many years ago, before USPSA eliminated 9MM Major I shoot about 60k of 158 grain lead bullets in 9 mm cases. Making 175 power factor proved to not be a problem. Then we all switched to 9X21.

Now 9 Major is back in fashion. There are better powders than we used 20 years ago so I's start with a slow burning powder. I was using AA7 or AA9 as well as some others.

A chrono is your friennd, and keep an eye on your cases but you shouldn't have any problems with heavy bullets.