Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Hunter for USPSA?

Big Bear

Here's something I've been woondering. Last summer I was taking some coaching from Todd Jerret when he commented that alot of top shooters were looking at 6" barrels for thier pistols. Has anyone considered this? And has anyone tried using the hunter to build such a gun? Where could I get a .40 barrel to replace the 10mm. Any thought you might have.?.

Here's something I've been woondering. Last summer I was taking some coaching from Todd Jerret when he commented that alot of top shooters were looking at 6" barrels for thier pistols. Has anyone considered this? And has anyone tried using the hunter to build such a gun? Where could I get a .40 barrel to replace the 10mm. Any thought you might have.?.

Henning has 2 Hunters at the moment. one has been cut for limited with slide lightening and if i remember right it okay to use. Henning will have to chime in.

Leo

Thanks alot guys. The more I think about this the more I like it.

Henning when you get a chance could you give me some where too's and how too's. Also if you have 'em, I'd like to see pics. What special conciderations do I need to think about before I start this.

Henning when you get a chance could you give me some where too's and how too's. Also if you have 'em, I'd like to see pics. What special conciderations do I need to think about before I start this.

Not sure if he is back yet. but ill share a few of them for you.

Edit: added a picture.

Leo

post-10792-1232394799_thumb.jpg

post-10792-1232394829_thumb.jpg

post-10792-1232394864_thumb.jpg

post-10792-1232394948_thumb.jpg

Edited by LeoHallak

Leo

Leo,

That gun is too cool brother!! you need to get that pistol in the range!

nice gun..

SB

I seem to recall someone else posting about wanting to use a 6" Hunter with a conversion barrel to .40 in Limited Division. The problem is, EAA doesn't have 500 Hunters (or conversion barrels) chambered in .40. IIRC, this means you'd have to shoot it in 10mm to be legal for Limited Division...otherwise, welcome to open.

It's too bad EAA sucks as an importer and we don't get some of Tanfoglio's cooler guns, like the Tanfoglio Gold Match in .40.

...if only Henning became the importer for Tanfoglio products instead of EAA...

Edited by ciscoip

Leo

Leo,

That gun is too cool brother!! you need to get that pistol in the range!

nice gun..

SB

That's Henning's pistol, yell at him after we did it for him we have been waiting for him to take it out. downside its in 10mm. I think he has a 40 barrel for it now.

Leo

Hey

I have two Hunters as Leo said. One was built by Leo's friend John Sandlin with all the cool slide cuts. Making the 6" slide the same weight as a factory 5" slide. It looks really cool and it's different from anything else I've seen done. Definitely one of a kind. When Leo and John get together cool things happen..

The other 6" I have is built by Canyon Creek / Rich Dettelhouser. Lot of weight take out and looks like the Limited Custom (sort of) or a V8 slide lightening cuts. This also has a 1911 bushing installed to make it more accurate.

USPSA Legal

The Hunter 6" is legal as per end of 2008. I had Tanfoglio and John Amidon get together and all the paper work is done so it's processed and good to go. Yes, only the 10mm and 45ACP is sold here in the US, but a 40 S&W barrel could be put in it. Not sure if EAA have any, I've had a 40 6" barrel on b/o for quite a while. A few options here.. Briley makes a 6" 40S&W barrel that I believe could be installed successfully by a gunsmith. Use CanyonCreek, Rich knows what he's doing and he can put a barrel bushing in it as well to give you that extra custom look. Have him lighten the slide at the same time and probably put my iFiber on it to get a good sight picture. Will come out with a 0.105" wide front sight here as soon as I can upload it (I do have them) which will give you a nice size front sight for the 6" slide.

Both my Hunters have SuperSight, but I've heard some of them come with the Novak. And at the show I heard they are switching them back to the Novak again. If the one you're getting doesn't have a Novak I'd have the slide re-cut for Bomar and go that route.

I have PLENTY of 10mm/40S&W magazines in stock as of today, just received hundreds of them and you can load to 21 rounds with my mag setup.

As soon as I can get a quality 40 S&W barrel I'll put one in my gun and plan to shoot it at a few matches this year. I have never compared 5" to 6" before so I'm not switching 100% yet.

I'm out of the country 21 - 27, but available on cell today and of course after I get back.

• 6 months later...

So, this Hunter 10mm 6" project has now been turned into a 6" 40 S&W with some additional work. It's not quite finished yet, but mainly just for me to put a trigger, sights etc on it and go shoot it. If I get time, I may get it ready and use it at the USPSA Limited Nationals in September.

Slide top lines / initial machining / design by Leo Hallak and John Sandlin

Barrel fit, rear slide lightening and moving the springcap back, magwell/fitting by Rich Dettelhouser/Canyon Creek Custom

Gun will probably get an Ionbond finish later this year after I get some rounds through it and make sure everything is exactly the way I want it. So far it's looking pretty cool.

post-3780-1249931839_thumb.jpg

post-3780-1249931856_thumb.jpg

post-3780-1249931864_thumb.jpg

post-3780-1249931877_thumb.jpg

post-3780-1249931883_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Is there an actual 40 barrel in that 6" prototype or is it still the factory 10mm? If you did fab a 6" 40 barrel in there how did you do it?

So, this Hunter 10mm 6" project has now been turned into a 6" 40 S&W with some additional work. It's not quite finished yet, but mainly just for me to put a trigger, sights etc on it and go shoot it. If I get time, I may get it ready and use it at the USPSA Limited Nationals in September.

Slide top lines / initial machining / design by Leo Hallak and John Sandlin

Barrel fit, rear slide lightening and moving the springcap back, magwell/fitting by Rich Dettelhouser/Canyon Creek Custom

Gun will probably get an Ionbond finish later this year after I get some rounds through it and make sure everything is exactly the way I want it. So far it's looking pretty cool.

post-3780-1249931839_thumb.jpg

post-3780-1249931856_thumb.jpg

post-3780-1249931864_thumb.jpg

post-3780-1249931877_thumb.jpg

post-3780-1249931883_thumb.jpg