Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Ammo?

steveyacht

Since I am not yet reloading my own ammo, I have been using whatever I can get a deal on. I have been looking at Federal's American Eagle 9mm in 147gr @ 960 FPS. Would you consider this to be an all around good choice for Steel Challenge and USPSA Production class? How do you feel it may compare to Atlanta Ammo's 147 grain?

Thanks

Since I am not yet reloading my own ammo, I have been using whatever I can get a deal on. I have been looking at Federal's American Eagle 9mm in 147gr @ 960 FPS. Would you consider this to be an all around good choice for Steel Challenge and USPSA Production class? How do you feel it may compare to Atlanta Ammo's 147 grain?

Thanks

That's a 141 power factor. Won't feel much different than a 115grain WWB load - recoil impulse just won't feel quite as snappy. Quite a bit hotter than AA's stuff is.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I like the Wally World Value Packs of WW White Box myself for a cheap way to shoot neener' (9mm). I also like the WW brass better'n the Federal stuff for reloadin' (just a pref thing, the Fed brass is good stuff).

The extra plus IMHO is the faster sight tracking and snappier gun response of the 115gr load. Ya' gonna' shoot a 141 PF, you might as well have it be quick ;)

i've always shot the WWB thru the Glock for the past 3 yrs and Rem green box,but my son came in for a little shooting over new years and i got 3k of the Federal 124 gr from this guy in Fla..http://(www.ltdammo.com/ ... i really like the way it shot thru the 34 and he was shooting a 19..shot a couple of matches with it the last 2 weeks and i'm hooked on it as of right now...we picked up 1k of CCi Blazer Brass also and it felt real good compared to WWB...LTD had the 124gr for 189.per k plus shipping which worked out to 205 per k..

I shot several different weights of the American Eagle a while back and like them. They are snappier than the AA 147's which is what I currently shoot in matches.

If you can get cases locally or shipped for a good price, go for it. And save the brass.