Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Elevated Mag Catch

Bill Schwab

I have the JP part in my Springfield Loaded gun. It's okay, but it's way overpriced and it DOES NOT include the spring or latch!

I recommend the STI mag catch for their Trojan 1911 gun. It's 0.080 higher than a standard mag catch and it goes in all of their guns. I have one in my Colt and in my Kimber and I've been very happy with then. What's more, they are a LOT cheaper than the S&A part, fit my frames better (they just dropped right in) and they include the spring and the latch!

So you can get a better part that works better and is less expensive and is complete if you go with STI.

I recommend getting it from Chuck Bradley ( http://www.shootersconnection.com/ ). He'll get it to you fast!

Here is the direct URL for the plain mag catch. The version for the 1911 is $17.95.

http://shootersconnection.com/catalog/prod...products_id=282

Here is the URL for the mag catch tapped and drilled for an extended button or lever. The 1911 version is $32.95.

http://shootersconnection.com/catalog/prod...products_id=283

Bill,

I was having “nose dive” jams in my 1911 with 10 round mags. It was driving me CRAZY! After exhausting every trick I knew (things got a lot better but not 100%) I called JP Enterprises, spoke with John Paul himself and ordered his “Elevated Mag Catch”, it dropped right in and now the gun always runs perfect. The $55 plus freight was a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

That said, when I had the part in my hand it seemed like an awfully lot of money for what I got. The part was rather crudely finished and sticks out like a sore thumb on my finely polished gun. Rhino’s right, it came without latch or spring. :o

I just bought some Cobra Mags from Virgil for my 3” 1911 Colt carry gun and, over all, I think I made a wise choice. If the prices ever for Tripp’s Mag ever reach the “affordable” range I’m going to put my standard mag catch in and give them a try in my L-10 gun.

Good luck,

Ed

Do these elevated JP and STI mag catches make it harder to seat the mag?

It depends on your gun and where the hole for the catch was machined in the frame. One of the reasons for adding them (obviously) is because the existing catch holds the mags too low, thus causing problems with feeding. Sometimes it's the catch itself, but if it's a hole that's out of spec, then an elevated catch won't change anything.

My SA Loaded was like that, so the elevated catch made very little difference.

In my Colt, it made a big difference because I have an S&A magwell. Before I put the STI part in there, I could easily seat 10rd chip mccormick mags, even with the magwell (which is usually a good sign the mags hang too low!). After the STI mag catch, I had to file the little boots down a bit to clear the magwell, but I still have enough space with respect to the bottom of the frame to seat the mags without much trouble.

On my Kimber (no mag well), it did make the mags a bit more difficult to seat initially, but I haven't had any problems during matches and it seems easier now. I will admit that I do insert the mags rather vigorously, so that may be necessary. It's worth it to have a gun that works.

Yeah!

That's why I can use MecGar 10rd mags. The only have a little nub on the back of the tube to stop overinsertion and when I have to reload from slide lock, I almost always jam it so far into the gun that it locks everything up and has to be pried out.

But in most situation, "seat the magazine smartly!"

I had a highly tuned IPSC .45 (by Briley) a few years ago, and it ran great - except with 10 rd mags.

I put in the JP elevated catch, and presto, problem fixed - ran 100% with 10 rd mags ever since, and I didn't have any seating problems.

If you're having the same problem, give one a try. (and no, they don't come with a spring or catch, but your old one has those doesn't it?)

A raised mag catch will fix a lot of guns with nose dive problems but they are other things to look for too. I see a lot of guns with the feed ramp too short, in 45 it should extend down to about the slide stop hole. You can also have a sloppy fit between the mag catch and frame allowing it to turn or clock. JP has a fine mag catch but if you know anyone who's handy with a tig it's a easy job to build up the ledge a little and dress it back off. You get to keep your original catch and it won't even discolor the hard chrome on the outside usually.