Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super...

Ron Ankeny

I have found tons of data for .38 Super loads for an Open pistol, but not much on loads for 125 pf for IPSC minor or IDPA. I have a new single stack Super in the making and I am looking for a mild practice/IDPA  load. I know I can work one up, but if any of you have a favorite load I would like to hear about it. Thanks.

Ron, shooting with the Limited super squad at the Steel Challenge last year, I think many of them were using Viht. N330 in their uncompensated .38 Supers.

I'll bet any pistol powder in between the extremes of burn rate would work.

For minor, I used 4.2 of Bullseye over a 125 lrn.  I bumped it up when going to jacketed.

As a general guide, find a 9mm load that posts the PF you want, and add .1 to .2 grains for loading the same in Super.

Wimpy loads can be touchy, and you may want to try a few different powders until you find the load your gun likes.

I'm running 4.9 gr. of titegroup behind a 125 gr. Hornady Action Pistol (HAP) bullet in a 9X23 (same overall length as .38 sooper) for a 153 pf.  Maybe a little hot for what you had in mind, but lighter loads work too.  Also 5.3 gr. of W231 gives the same accuracy for me at about the same velocity.

Alan~^~