Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Least smoky powder for 125gr LRN

TFin04

I have about 6k of 125gr LRN that I bought cheap last year. I don't normally shoot lead, but for the price, I couldn't say no.

I found out very quickly that Titegroup was a bad choice for them. I have been using VV N320 and while the smoke is gone somewhat, it is still pretty heavy. I know the smoke will never go away, but I want to reduce it as much as possible.

I normally load 124gr Berry's plated. I want to buy a large quantity of powder that will be good for me to finish up the LRN I have, then use for the Berry's plated stuff. Obviously the cheaper the better. Does such a beast exist?

Edit- These loads will be shot from a Glock 19 (4") with a standard rifled Lone Wolf Dist barrel installed.

Thanks!

Edited by TFin04

Some of the smoke is from the bullet lube. Nothing you can do about that.

Understood, I'm just trying to reduce it as much as possible.

Looks like 231 is a favorite. Anybody else have opinions?

Edited by TFin04

Unique and W231 work well in my 9mm loads although my Bullseye and V320 loads are more accurate in my guns with me behind the sights. I notice that V320 and even a lead base equal more smoke than the Unique/W231. W231 meters well to boot.

Some of the smoke is from the bullet lube. Nothing you can do about that.

Understood, I'm just trying to reduce it as much as possible.

Looks like 231 is a favorite. Anybody else have opinions?

Solo 1000 is the powder for cast bullets and the 9 do a search many posts about how many people like Solo. Solo also work with plated bullets.

• 1 month later...